Get a head start in preparing your child for 2nd grade
2nd Grade Reading Grade Level Essentials:
- Recognizes the features of a sentence (for example: first words, capitalization, and ending punctuation). Recognizes the spelling and sound of two letters that represent one sound, such as th, ch, wh (these are also known as digraphs).
- Learns to read regularly spelled one-syllable words.
- Understands short and long vowels
- Recognizes rhyming words
- Breaks up longer words into syllables in order to read them.
- Reads first grade high frequency words with fluency
- Knows the difference between and reads fiction and non-fiction texts and be able to read and understand them
- Discuss and answers questions about what they read
- Reads texts aloud at an appropriate speed and with expression.
- Compares different characters, events, or texts.
- Understands the purpose of and uses common features in a book, such as headings, tables of contents, and glossaries.
- Begins to read (grade appropriate) poetry and identifies words and phrases that relate to emotions and the senses
2nd Grade Level Math Essentials:
- Adds and subtracts numbers I -20, solves word problems by using objects, drawings, and traditional equations (with the plus and minus signs). Adds 3 numbers that add to a number up to 20.
- Solves addition and subtraction problems by adding up or subtracting smaller numbers, for example: 10+4 = 10+2+2 and 15-6 15-2-2-2.
- Leams the relationship between addition and subtraction, for example: 2+3=5 and 5-3=2.
- Counts out and groups objects in order to solve single digit addition and subtraction problems.
- Counts and writes the numbers 1 to 120, starting from any number less than 120. Understands and creates numbers using 10 as a base, for example: 12 — 1 ten and 2 1's.
- Compares two 2 digit numbers using the <, >, and signs.
- Adds up tol 00 using objects and the concept of 10's.(bundle objects in groups of 10 to make 100)
- Subtracts or adds 10 to a 2- digit number in her mind, without counting, and subtracts by 10 from numbers 1-90, using concrete objects or tools.
- Orders three objects by length.
- Begins to tell and write time using both digital and analog clocks.
- Understands data; specifically, the total number of data points, how many are in each category, and how many more or less there are in a category.
- Understands the definition of and difference between shapes and creates shapes using this knowledge.
- Creates 2 and 3 dimensional shapes.
- Breaks up circles and rectangles into two and four equal parts, and understands that the parts are halves, fourths, and quarters, and that smaller parts make up larger ones.
2nd Grade Level Writing Essentials:
- Writes legibly-correct formation of letters
- Writes a variety of texts including, opinion pieces, narratives, and explanatory/informational pieces
- Writes with structure, including an introductory sentence, supporting or accurate details, and some sense of closure
- Begins to use digital tools, including computers, to practice and "publish" writing
- Gathers information as a class, with the aid of a teacher, to answer a question or create a shared research or writing project
- Writes on the proper side of notebook paper and includes name
*** You can also click the link below to see what your child will be learning in 2nd Grade in Math. Even though this Curriculum is not current, the 2nd Grade Florida Standards are still the same for the 2019-2020 School Year.
2nd Grade Math Curriculum
*** You can click on a link below to see what your child will be learning in 2nd Grade in Reading, Science and Social Studies. Even though these Curriculums are not current, the 2nd Grade Florida Standards are still the same for the 2019-2020 School Year.
1. 2nd Grade Reading Curriculum
2. 2nd Grade Science Curriculum
3. 2nd Grade Social Studies Curriculum