As you prepare to purchase clothing for the upcoming school year, please keep these guidelines in mind:
- Gentleman’s pants must fit securely, not sagging below the hips.
- All undergarments must be covered at all times and should never be visible.
- Shirts must cover the top of pants, shorts, or skirts, even when seated. There should be at least a two-inch overlap between shirts and bottoms. Shirts are to be able to be tucked in and be able to stay tucked in during normal school movement. Shirts are to completely cover the student shoulder to shoulder.
- Slogans/logos on clothing, jewelry, etc. are to be appropriate for school.
- All clothing should fit appropriately to adhere to appropriate modesty for a school setting.
- Marion County Public Schools Dress code requires all shorts, dresses, and skirts to fall mid-thigh.
- Gentleman’s shirts that are longer than mid-thigh must be tucked into pants/shorts with a belt.
- Wearing a jacket or shirt will not excuse a student from complying with the dress code.
The following represents examples of clothing and accessories which are not permitted. This is not intended to be inclusive, as other clothing deemed inappropriate by the administrative staff will also be excluded from campus:
- No bandanas displayed in any fashion
- No spaghetti straps, midriffs, shirts that have been cut off, halter tops, tank tops, see-through blouses or jerseys
- No low-cut blouses, dresses, backless dresses, or split skirts that do not comply with a code of modesty
- No clothing that is torn, frayed, cut off, with holes
- No jewelry or clothing which refers to sex, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, profanity, satanic/occult references, or street organizations
- No hats, caps, headbands, bandannas, hair rollers, picks, or combs worn in hair
- No sunglasses, wallet chains
- No lycra, nylon, spandex, bicycle, boxer, gym shorts, or pajamas
- No bedroom slippers may be worn at school
Parents will be contacted and requested to provide appropriate clothing for students who are not Dress Code compliant so that the student may be returned to class.