District Announces Hurricane Make-Up Days
SEPTEMBER 21, 2017 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
352.671.7555 ◊ FAX: 352.671.7735 ◊ CELL: 352.840.3265
HURRICANE MAKE-UP DAYS
MARION COUNTY – Following School Board consensus, Marion County Public Schools will make up days for Hurricane Irma based on this schedule:
- Sept. 27 - full class day for all students (was an Early Release day)
- Oct. 17 - full class day for all students (was a teacher training day)
- Nov. 1 - full class day for all students (was an Early Release day)
- Dec. 6 - full class day for all students (was an Early Release day)
- Jan. 24 - full class day for all students (was an Early Release day)
These days, combined with the Commissioner of Education's waiver of two days, plus two days waived by Superintendent Dr. Heidi Maier because of extra class time already built into every school's daily schedule, more than resolve the six missed days due to Hurricane Irma.
These decisions were made based on what's best for students, and that's to restore the lost learning time as much as possible. These adjustments also keep semester exams and other tests aligned with Christmas/Winter Break. Alternative considerations could have impacted Thanksgiving Week and three potential weather make-up days following Memorial Day 2018. This schedule also affords MCPS employees opportunities to make up missed time and unpaid days because of the storm.
For more information, contact my office directly.
# # #