Guidance and Counseling
Ms. Kim James & Mrs. Amanda Esquivel
Welcome to the Guidance Office! Our mission as your child's counselors is to assist you and your child's teachers in facilitating North Marion Middle School's mission statement and goals for each and every student.
We would like to invite you to come in and get to know us and the services we offer from this office. You may come by school or call during "teacher hours" and make an appointment with us. You don't need to wait until you have a problem or special reason! We hope that, together, we can lay a good foundation for future success and achievement by making your child's years at North Marion Middle a happy and rewarding learning experience.
- Help children understand themselves and others
- Help to identify children with special needs
- Provide crisis intervention
- Develop plans to prevent academic/behavioral problems from developing
- Provide Career Awareness programs
- Coordinate the efforts of other professionals working for children
- Provide orientation for children coming to North Marion Middle School for the first time
- Promote positive attitudes toward persons of diverse cultural, racial, ability, and socioeconomic backgrounds
Quick Guide to Marion County Services: By clicking on the following link, you will be able to view a listing of the telephone numbers for the many services available within Marion County. Quick Guide to Marion County Services
Registration: All new students must register in the Guidance Office. Our personnel are familiar with all the requirements and can help you with questions.
Attendance: Taking attendance is the responsibility of the classroom teacher. If a child is not in his/her classroom by 9:05 am, he/she must check in at the Guidance Office before reporting to class. Also, if children are chronically absent, tardy, or picked up early, notices may be sent from the Guidance Office in accordance with Marion County School System policies and FL statutes. Please call the Guidance Office if your child is absent. Upon your child's return to school, send a hand-written note as to the reason for the absence. If your child was seen by a doctor, please send the doctor's note.
Signing Out Early: Please visit the Attendance Office to sign a student out of school. You must present your identification and be on the student's authorization list. No one under the age of 18 may check a student out of school. There will be no check-outs after 3:10 pm.
Official Records: Your child's cumulative records are housed in the Guidance Office. If you need to review anything in the folder please call ahead and make an appointment for someone to go over the contents with you. If you need a copy of any document in your child's folder we can provide it for you. If you request more than two copies, a charge will be assessed at 5 cents per copy. Again, please call ahead and we will try and have it ready for you or will send it home via your child. If you are transferring out of North Marion Middle School we will make sure all necessary documents are forwarded to your child's new school.
*If you are a non-custodial parent who wishes to have copies of report cards, interim reports, and other routine school information, please see your child's teacher. You will be required to provide self-addressed, stamped envelopes for this.
Take Stock in Children
Applications will be accepted between Oct. 1 - Nov. 3. Take Stock In Children interviews will be held in the spring.
Duke Tip program
- ACT exam dates are: Dec. 14th and Feb. 8th and will be held at NMHS
- SAT exam dates are: Dec. 7th and Jan. 25th and will be held at NMHS
- Please note: Paper-based application postmark deadline for both the SAT and ACT is Oct. 1st. Online enrollment deadline is Oct. 21st.
One of our favorite websites is: www.flvs.net