About Stanton-Weirsdale Elementary School
Leading the state in raising student performance.
We are united... in challenging students to reach their fullest potential in a safe, positive, and caring environment, which is conducive to teaching and learning.
Our mission statement has been collaboratively developed by our school community (faculty, staff, parents and students). It is understood by all of the stakeholders and is visible and published in the school community.
- School Accountability Reports
- School Financial Report
- School Improvement Plan
- Title I Parent Involvement Plan
SCHOOL PROFILE AND HISTORY
Our school’s motto is “For the Love of Learning.” The faculty and staff are committed to provide an educational climate, which challenges students to achieve. Various programs and projects are in place to assist us in developing skills and attitudes, which will encourage our students to participate in and contribute to a democratic society. Our school colors are royal blue and gold.
The student population consists of 72% Caucasian, 12% Hispanic, 8% African-American, 6% Multi-Racial, 1% Native American and 1% Asian/Pacific Islander. Statistics indicate a low socioeconomic population base with around seventy percent of the students qualifying for free and reduced lunch. Therefore, the school participates in a school-wide Title I project.
The students are provided numerous opportunities to participate in various special programs, which include Chorus, Good News Club, Safety Patrol, Stanton-Weirsdale Day and the annual World's Fair.
Parent and community involvement is a unique strength at this school. There is always a high percentage of parents attending World's Fair, Curriculum Night, Open House, Musical Programs, Community Fair, Polar Express Night, Science Showcase Night, Student-Led Conferences and classroom productions. During the 2016-17 school year, volunteers contributed so many thousands of dedicated hours working directly with students that Stanton-Weirsdale Elementary School was ranked third place for volunteer hours in Marion County Public Schools.
There are approximately 570 students enrolled in grades Pre-K through 5 with two administrators, 31 classroom teachers, three VE teachers, a Guidance Counselor, a Student Services Manager, a Literacy Content Area Specialist, Media Specialist, Art Teacher, Music Teacher, two PE teachers, two Speech Therapists, and 29 non-instructional personnel.
The name “Stanton-Weirsdale” comes from the two communities where the school is located: Stanton, Florida and Weirsdale, Florida. The first school in the Weirsdale area began in the mid-1880s and was called Weirsdale School. After moving to different schoolhouses over the years, Weirsdale School’s last home, a two-story brick building, was built in 1925 and still stands today near the Orange Blossom Opry. Stanton Junior High School, an African-American school, opened in 1956 and was located in the current third grade hallway of Stanton-Weirsdale Elementary. In the 1960s, after the integration of Marion County schools, both Stanton Junior High and Weirsdale Schools’ buildings were used, but the grade levels were split apart. By 1969, Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders went to what was called “Stanton Elementary” (in Stanton Junior High’s building) and 4th, 5th and 6th graders went to “Weirsdale School” (the brick schoolhouse). A new wing was added to Stanton Elementary in 1977, which is the building where the front office, guidance office, and Pre-K, Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade classrooms are located currently. In the fall of 1977, students at Stanton Elementary and Weirsdale School were combined and the new name of the school was announced: Stanton-Weirsdale Elementary School.
Stanton-Weirsdale Elementary School is grateful for the support it receives from the community. Community members have joined together to form the Community of Gratitude which has been extremely resourceful (volunteers, clothing, supplies, food, and etc.).
Other supportive groups include:
- Altrusa International of Ocala, Inc.
- American Legion Auxiliary Post 347 of Leesburg
- Beall’s of Mulberry Grove Plaza of The Villages
- Blue Parrot Club of Lady Lake
- Church of Grace Ministries
- Circle K of Weirsdale
- Civitan Club of The Villages
- Clown Alley 179 of The Villages
- The Cornerstone School of Ocala
- Del Webb Spruce Creek Country Club of Summerfield
- Dollar General of Weirsdale
- Duke Energy
- First Baptist Church at The Villages
- Fountain Wood Carvers of Del Webb Spruce Creek
- Knights of Columbus
- Lake Weir Kiwanis Club of Weirsdale
- Lake Weir Yacht Club
- Marine Corps League - Phillip C. Delong Detachment 1267 of The Villages
- Marion County Fire Rescue - Weirsdale Station 27
- Marion County Sherrif's Office
- Michael Whitaker & Associates
- Mickey’s Fanatics of The Villages
- North Lake Presbyterian Church of Lady Lake
- Ocala/Marion County Association of Realtors
- Orange Blossom Opry of Weirsdale
- Parady Financial of The Villages
- The Patriots Club of Del Webb Spruce Creek, Summerfield
- Publix at Mulberry Grove Plaza of The Villages
- Recreation Plantation of Lady Lake
- Recreation Plantation Quilting Club & Poker Run Group of Lady Lake
- Red Hat Society Ladies Panache Chapter
- Retired Educators Club of The Villages
- Saddlebrook Softball League
- Santiago Women's Club of The Villages
- The Shirley J. Hall Family Trust of Lady Lake
- Signature Brands of Ocala
- Sonic Drive-In of Summerfield
- St. George Episcopal Church of Lady Lake
- Stonecrest of Summerfield
- Stonecrest Care Group of Summerfield
- Stonecrest Ladies Golf Association of Summerfield
- Stonecrest Theatre Guild
- Stonecrest Travel Club
- Stonecrest Women's Club of Summerfield
- Tri-County Ohio State Alumni Club of The Villages
- The Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday Bartram Loop, Piedmont Village MahJongg Groups
- Tutors for Kids
- US Military Vets Motorcycle Club (Stonecold Chapter)
- United Healthcare of The Villages
- The Villages Art League
- The Villages Convertible Club
- The Villages Railroad Historical Society
- Water Bugs of Del Webb Spruce Creek, Summerfield
- Weirsdale Presbyterian Church
- The Willows of Oxford