Guidance & Counseling Office
Welcome to the Guidance Office! Elementary Guidance consists of working with students, parents, teachers, school administrators, and other professionals to help children develop academically, personally, and socially.
Please call if we can be of service at 352-291-4086. Guidance Office Hours are from 7:30AM to 3:15PM.
Goals of Elementary School Counselor
- Help children understand themselves and others
- Help to identify children with special needs
- Provide crisis intervention in times of personal/family stress
- Develop plans to prevent academic/behavioral problems
- Coordinate the efforts of other professionals working for children
- Provide orientation for children coming to school for the first time
Services Offered by your Counselor
- Consulting with teachers, parents administrators, and other professionals about resources, programs, individual and/or family problems
- Listening to students to help them to resolve conflicts
- Helping parents understand how to help their children achieve their fullest academic, social and personal potential
- Referring students to other school professionals such as the school psychologist and social worker.
- Explaining academic test results to help parents and teachers to use the information appropriately
- Teaching students about themselves, their feelings, growing up, the consequences of choices they make and encouraging more positive life management skills
- Coordinating the referral process for children who may need placement in a special program offered by the school
Your Counselor will work with students:
- Individually, when referred by a parent, teacher, or when a child self-refers themselves to discuss problems and how to attempt to solve them
- In small groups, when children share a similar problem or need work in a socialization skill,
- In whole classes to help children understand others
Your Counselor will work with parents:
- Attending parent/teacher conferences to share and exchange information and helpful strategies
- Offering individual consultation to help parents understand ways they can help their child both at home and school
- To access community resources
The following information should provide you with a better understanding of the role of the guidance personnel. The information will also help you and your child support the work done by the counselor.
Parents are encouraged to call the school if they have health concerns regarding their child. The visiting health nurse provides health counseling, health education, and assistance with medical referrals and necessary follow-up.
In case of a health emergency, “911” (emergency medical services) will be called and the parent/guardian will be notified immediately. In the event the parent/guardian cannot be reached, the person designated by the parent/guardian to call “in case of emergency” will be notified.
During the school year, all students are eligible to participate in certain health services. Health screenings including, but not limited to, vision, hearing, and scoliosis will be conducted at various grade levels. Parents will be notified if these screenings indicate need for follow-up. If a parent does not wish for his/her child to participate in health screenings, they should send a written note to the principal on a yearly basis requesting their child be excluded from participation.
Health services begin the first week of school.
School health insurance forms are available upon request in the main office.
Registration: Click here to view county procedure.
All new students must verify that their home address is in the Shady Hill zone. All registration information can be found
- Certified birth certificate
- Florida physical (dated one year prior to 1st day of school)
- Florida blue immunization form
- Social Security card (requested by not required)
- Proof of residence (lease/mortgage and electricity bill)
- Completed registration packet
AttendanceIf your child is ill and will not be attending school, please call our office before eleven in the morning. We will inform your child’s teacher.Please remember that all absences must be followed up by a written excuse on the child’s first day back to school.Tardy children are required to be accompanied to the front office by a parent to obtain a tardy slip in order to be admitted to their classroom.