Accelerated Reader (AR) Program
The Accelerated Reader (AR) Program provides teachers and children a fun and exciting way to promote reading at home and in the classroom. The kids love to watch their progress and teachers often involve the students in setting AR point goals for the year.
To view a complete list of which books have AR quizzes, go to AR BookFinder Program. If you would like to see which books we have in our school library, go to Destiny, our online card catalog, and click on our school.
Students will have access to take AR Quizzes at home while we are participating in Distance Learning. Please use the following link to the AR site.
Username: Student number (lunch number)
Password: Birth Month and Birth Year (Example: 032020)
Welcome to the Media Center
Library Media Center
Media Center Hours | Circulation Policy | Gift Policy | Mission Statement
Accelerated Reader (AR) Program | Book Fairs | Shady Hill Morning Show
Sunshine State Young Readers'' Award | Quick Links
Accelerated Reader Book Finder and Quiz List | Destiny Online Card Catalog
WHAT'S NEW IN THE MEDIA CENTER
MEDIA CENTER HOURS
7:20am - 1:45pm.........M-Fri
MEDIA CENTER STAFF
- DEBBIE PACE-MEDIA SPECIALIST
We feel that the library media center is the heart of the school and we work together to provide an atmosphere that is inviting to students, parents, faculty and staff. We hope to instill a lifelong love of reading in our students and an appreciation for all genres of reading.
The Shady Hill Elementary Library Media Center will strive to provide opportunities to assist students, faculty and parents in becoming effective users of information in order to evaluate the information and be critical thinkers and collaborative learners. This mission is accomplished by:
- Providing daily opportunities to access materials and resources
- Providing instruction to students in a variety of formats
- Collaborating with teachers to integrate information skills with classroom curriculum
= top =
- Students in Kindergarten may check out 1 item at a time with a signed permission slip.
- Students in 1st may check out 1 item at a time.
- Students in 2nd-5th grade may check out 2 items at a time.
- All books are due back one week from the date of checkout. Books may be renewed once unless there is a request for the book.
- There are no fines for overdue materials, however, students may not checkout additional items until the overdue ones are returned or paid for. If a book is returned damaged the cost must be paid before continuing to check out materials.
- Reference materials may not be checked out.
= top =
Gifts are always appreciated. They may be added to the Media Center collection, given to teachers, or used as incentives/prizes.
= top =
SHADY HILL MORNING SHOW
The Shady Hill Morning Show is our school news show that the fifth graders produce. They broadcast the pledge, lunchroom tips, and the weather. Fifth graders with good grades, a GREAT attitude, and ability to follow directions will have the opportunity to participate.
If your class is doing something special, let Ms. Pace or any news crew member know, and we will try to feature your class on the show!
Tune in at 7:45...Channel 2 on Shady Hill TV.
= top =
We host a Fall and Spring Book Fair
= top =
- Seussville - it's, well, diffendooferous!
- The Nine Planets for Kids - learn more about space as we explore new worlds this year.
- Gale Databases and World Book
- Florida Electronic Library - portal for students to digital collections about Florida, Gale databases, and live chat with a librarian.
- Florida Memory Project - Florida Memory is a digital outreach program providing free online access to select archival resources from collections housed in the State Library and Archives of Florida. Florida Memory digitizes materials that illuminate the state's history and culture.
- Ocala Public Library
- PBS Learning Media - WUCFTV and PBS have curated FREE, standards-aligned videos, interactives, lesson plans, and more just for Florida teachers (and Parents) like you.
= top =