About Dunnellon High School
Located in southwest Marion County, Dunnellon High School serves a diverse student body from Marion, Citrus, and Levy Counties. The student population of 1100 is 58% majority and 42% minority. We provide a comprehensive education for students in Grades 9 through 12.
An academically focused school will achieve great things
Equipping all students for the rigorous career and college demands of today and tomorrow
Dunnellon High School cultivates success by creating a safe learning environment, fostering stakeholder relationships, and providing the rigorous academic, social, and ethical development necessary for each student to become a well-rounded, lifelong learner.
- We are Prompt!
- We are Prepared!
- We are Polite!
Dunnellon High School
10055 SW 180th Ave Rd
Dunnellon, Florida 34432
Dunnellon High School History
Dunnellon School was established in 1890 with 24 students, 13 who resided in Citrus County just south of the Withlacoochee River. The other 11 resided in Marion County. The multi county aspect of the school continues to this day since Dunnellon High while a Marion County School also serves students from Citrus County and Levy County.
The original school building was vacated in 1903 due to overcrowding. The new two-story building housed grades one through eight and was located at the corner of Hale Street and Chestnut Avenue (now Chestnut Street) where present-day Dunnellon Middle School can be found. That building was razed in 1965-66 and replaced with the one-story building that now houses Dunnellon Middle School. The class of 1967 was the first to graduate from the “new” building. The class of 1983 was the last class to graduate from this location.
Dunnellon High School is presently located at 10055 SW 180th Avenue Road across from Rainbow Springs State Park and adjacent to Dunnellon Elementary School. Students left the old location in December of 1983 and attended classes after winter break in January 1984 in the new building at the present location. The class of 1984 was the first graduating class from this site.
The new building on 83 acres in the southwest quadrant of Marion County consisted of a media center, gymnasium, cafetorium, music room, and 32 classrooms serving 550 students. In 1985 a field-house with weight room was constructed. Within the next several years, 24 portables were added. This growth led to the construction in 1998 of three new buildings, two classroom building and one new administration/guidance building. The old administration suites were incorporated into the media center which was expanded and remodeled to include a new TV production classroom and studio. The cafeteria was also expanded from 250 to 450 seats.