FLAME with Ms. Martin
Welcome to FLAME 2020-2021
FLAME (gifted) will begin on August 31, 2020.
Good afternoon families!
Reminder: Marion County Public Schools may record online classroom sessions utilizing third-party platforms (Zoom, Google Classroom, etc.). These recordings will only be used for educational purposes and may be shared on other learning platforms. If you do not want your child’s image or identifying information recorded, utilize your device/platform controls to stop the camera feed from your device.
I hope you all are doing well. I am writing to you this afternoon to share some information about this upcoming school year and how Reddick-Collier is moving to multiple platforms to enhance your child's education. I know that everything going on is new to everyone, including myself, but we will make it work! I will be getting in contact with all families between now and Monday, August 31st which will be our first week of gifted education.
Our gifted schedule will be posted as soon as it is finalized and approved.
Please read this post carefully, as it contains lots of important information.
Right now, I am working on updating our class webpage and updating our first 9 weeks of study in our google classrooms and for our students returning to school.
Here you will find updates and extra links for activities. I will send out a separate email when our class's Google Classroom is ready to launch. Lessons will be posted in Google Classroom. I will also be holding weekly Zoom meetings on your child's gifted day for 1 hour of face to face whole group lessons to take virtual field trips, brush up on current events, work on grade-level novel studies, and the student will have the chance to share ideas, collaborate virtually, as well as given presentation plus a whole lot more. I will also be able to answer any questions, share ideas, go over any concerns, and help in any way possible. The link for the meeting is posted on Google Classroom in the stream section.
Side Note for our virtual learners:
- Your child should log into their regular classrooms on their gifted days from 7:45 to 8:00 am. Their homeroom teachers need to take attendance!!!
- Your child will enter our gifted class at 8:00 am.
- Your child should always attend their specials classes, even on gifted days, during their regular specials times at their home schools.
- Your child should RETURN to their regular classes from 1:00 pm until the end of their scheduled day at the end of each gifted class!!!
Our gifted day is from 8-1. On your child's gifted day, they are to be working on gifted classroom assignments, having their lunch breaks at their normal lunch break times following their grade level class schedule. They will attend their grade level specials during their grade level times during that 8-1 class period.
(Ex. if your child has specials every day from 9-9:50, then at 9 they will STOP working on gifted assignments and go to their specials class. At 9:50 they will return to gifted classwork. If they have their lunch every day from 11-11:30 and then recess until 11:45. They will still go to lunch and recess at those exact times.)
Finally, at 1:00 pm they will return to their homeroom classes and finish out the rest of their day as scheduled.
- Students can access i-Ready, MyON, Discovery Education, and more through the online desktop at https://desktop.marion.k12.fl.us/ many of these programs are downloadable on cell phones or tablets in app form. It is suggested that students complete at least 50 minutes of Reading and 50 minutes of Math lessons weekly.
- Daily attendance records are beginning on the first day of school for all virtual students. I will be marking your student present if I have had contact with you that day about work, or if I see that you/your student has commented in Google Classroom about their assignments or what they have completed for that day. I know that everyone's schedule is different, so I will be taking attendance throughout the day, and checking up on students until 2 pm.
For today, please comment/message letting me know how you all are doing and that you have reviewed the information presented. In addition, please include if you have access to the internet/a device your student can work on so I can work with you and your child to provide gifted services in another format. I know that some of you have already completed the survey, and we are working on developing a plan to meet your student’s instructional needs.
Gifted Websites (please email me if your child needs their username and password)
www.code.org class code PKLKSH
https://www.cnn.com/cnn10 (4th and 5th graders)
Office365 for PowerPoints, Word docs, Sway,
Office365 OUTLOOK for school email
As always thank you for your ongoing support in your child’s education.
Let the learning continue! Stay safe, I miss you all!
Please email me at email@example.com or send me a message on google classroom if you need anything.
Please have your students log into google classroom on the first week of school to ensure that they can access it! If your child cannot access our google classroom, PLEASE email, text or call me right away so that I can have them added to our classroom as soon as possible. firstname.lastname@example.org
Call- Reddick Collier- 352-671-6070 x 52947
Call or TEXT-Ms. Martin's personal google voice number-