Welcome to the Library Media Center
Check Out Dav Pilkey at Home. Featuring new Dog Man content created by Dav Pilkey himself!
Be sure to check out New Fun Videos every Friday from Dav Pilkey!
Scroll to the bottom of Dav Pilkey at Home to find additional links to The Library of Congress and Scholastic Learn at Home.
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and it's effects on our state and community, Sparr Library research and learning opportunities are all accomplished online and through distance learning at this time. Email Mr. Hartley with questions or suggestions. His office hours are 7:35 to 2:05 Monday through Friday.MCPS Destiny | Sunshine State Young Readers' Award | The Van Note Book Giveaway | Morning News Show | Quick Links
Students; it is now more important than ever that you sign into your Student Portal on a regular basis for communication and learning opportunities. And now, when you login to your Student Portal, there are some "extras" which you didn't have before. One new "extra" is located in your myOn account. Now, in myOn, you can find up-to-date news articles. Up to five (5) articles are available each "school day." They are available in English and in Spanish. Just click on the "News" tab.
Another new item in your Student Portal is free and easy access to World Book Online at Home. Explore within this site to find all kinds of information. I recommend exploring first in the "Kids" and in the "Student" research areas, but look through the other parts of it as well, World Book Online at Home even has ebooks!
- Suspended until further notice;when the Coronavirus passes by.
- 7:20 7:40 -- Book Exchange
- 7:40 - 7:50-- "Good Morning Sparr!"
- 2:05-3:00- Planning/Teacher Services
- Sparr has an open library policy
- Students are encouraged to visit the library during the school day to check out books or do research. Of course, students should always have teacher permission before visiting. Mr. Hartley looks forward to your visit.
- Each student in Kindergarten and 1st grade may check out one book for two weeks.
- Students in 2nd through 5th grade may check out two books for two weeks.
- A student may renew a book for another 2 weeks if the book has not been requested by another person.
- There are no fines for overdue materials.
- If students have overdue books or fines for lost or damaged books, they may check out a "Second Chance" book, but they may not check out books from the regular shelves.
- Encyclopedias and other reference books may not be checked out by students. They need to remain in the media center for everyone to use
- Links can be found at .....
- Take good care of all books and materials currently checked out. Turn them in when the school reopens.
Gift Policy / Little Free Library
Gifts are always appreciated and will be directed to the best possible use. They may be added to the media center collection, given to teachers, donated to the Little Free Library or donated to the public library.
Gifting of books to the Sparr Media Center is suspended until further notice.
Families are encouraged to visit the Little Free Library, located in the driveway area of the school, between the front office and the Flag pole. Share a Book; take a Book (or during this time, take a couple of books!).
TV Broadcast Studio - Our studio televises live announcements each morning. Student recognition is featured. Students operate the entire show with supervision from the media specialist. The crew consists of responsible students. To be chosen as part of the television crew, students must display positive attitudes, be responsible, have good attendance, and good grades. If students are able to sign up for, and attend the Wednesday, after school video club, it helps in preparing for the morning TV show.
The mission of the Sparr Elementary Library Media Program is to ensure that the students and staff are effective users of ideas and information. This is accomplished by providing intellectual and physical access to materials in all formats; by providing instruction to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing, and using information and ideas; and by working with other educators to design learning strategies to meet the needs of individual students.
https://mymariondestiny.follettdestiny.com (home access)
Destiny is the library media center catalog. Not only is it available on your school computer, but now teachers, students, and parents can log in and access it from home to check out the Marion County library collections anytime, anyplace, anywhere! Scroll Down to locate Sparr's Media Center to see Sparr's library collection!
Kids' Rules for Safety on the Internet (Very Important Right Now)
Students of all ages are enjoying the Internet, so it is crucial that parents and guardians be aware of the risks their children will face. The following suggestions are my recommendations for safety online.
Sparr Elementary School Media Center would like everyone to remember!!!
- Information online is not private. Never tell anyone online your last name, your phone number, where you live, or where you go to school.
- Never e-mail a picture of yourself to a stranger.
- If you see something that makes you uncomfortable, don't look around or explore; get your parents or teacher instead.
- Never make plans to meet Internet friends.
- Never open an e-mail, file, or Web page from people you don't know.
- Never give out your password, except to responsible adults in your family or a teacher.
- Never visit sites that offer special prizes, contests, or games. These sites may be trying to get your personal information or get money from you.
- Always follow family and school rules for the Internet. Rules are there to make sure you stay safe.
The Sunshine State Young Reader Award Books are chosen each year by a committee of Florida librarians. They are chosen for their quality and appeal, and represent some of the best in children's literature today. Students in grades 3 through 5 are encouraged to read at least three of the books, so they can vote for their favorite. Every year, the author of the book with the most statewide votes is presented with the Sunshine State Young Readers' Award.
Students in Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, first grade and second grade have the opportunity to read or listen to Junior Sunshine State Young Reader Award books.
The Van Note Book Giveaway Program
Covid-19 Update: After a conversation with Mr. Pete and Ms. M'Lou, we have tentatively decided to forego the Van Note Book Giveway to end the school year 2020. Grade level teachers in grades 1 through 5 will still choose the "Top Readers" in each grade to be recognized and receive the specially selected Book Ends from Plains, GA! The books that were set aside for this year's Book Giveaway will be given out at the beginning of the next school year.
Through the generous donation each year, from a couple who is very near and dear to our hearts, we are able to provide top quality books to all students at Sparr Elementary School from Pre-Kindergarten through fifth grade. We call it the Van Note Book Giveaway and the books are given away to the students at the beginning of the year, mid-year, and close to the end of the school year. At each Book Giveaway, students preview all the books then, after they have made mental selections, they physically pick and keep forever the book that they want. Inside the front cover of the book is a sticker where each student writes their name. Also on the sticker are words and a picture to remind the students What the Best Kind of Worm Is ......... A BOOKWORM!!
Morning News Show
- Every school day morning, a special group of third, fourth and fifth graders get together. These students create "The Good Morning Sparr TV Show," a morning news show for Sparr Elementary School.
- The purpose of "The Good Morning Sparr TV Show" is to let the school know about daily and future happenings and schedules.
- If your class is doing something special, let Mr. Hartley or any news crew member know, and we will try to feature your special project on "The Good Morning Sparr TV Show"
- If you are a responsible third, fourth or fifth grader, you too can be on the "The Good Morning Sparr TV Show."
- "The Good Morning Sparr TV Show" accepts students recommended by the students' teachers who have the following qualities:
- Positive attitude
- Good attendance
- Good grades
- Poetry for Kids - a fun place for poetry and laughs!
- PBS Kids.org
- The Nine Planets for Kids - learn more about space as we explore new worlds this year.
- Discovery Online
- Gale Databases
- Florida Electronic Library - portal for students to digital collections about Florida, Gale databases, and live chat with a librarian.
- Marion County (FL) Public Library System
- Marion County Florida Supervisor of Elections