EARLY COLLEGE PROGRAM OVERVIEW
Update to Early College Magnet Program at West Port:
The Early College Magnet Program on our campus will soon phase out and end.
- Students currently enrolled in the program will be able to complete the program – some in person, others online.
- Current 11th graders can finish the program in person on the College of Central Florida campus with transportation and meals provided or they can complete it online here at West Port.
- Current 9th and 10th graders can complete the program online on the West Port campus.
While the Early College Program helped distinguish West Port as a choice location, dual enrollment options will still be available to all students enrolled at our school. In addition, we will be offering other rigorous academic options for our students at West Port, including AP Capstone Diploma and Cambridge AICE Diploma paths.
Marion County Public Schools has partnered with the College of Central Florida to create a new Collegiate Academy. More details on that are available on CF's website.
We will continue to share more information about opportunities as we begin scheduling for next school year. Students currently enrolled in the Early College Program will continue to work with their counselor during this transition. Please be assured that your child will always be our first priority at West Port and we will continue to offer options for all of our students. Thank you for partnering with us in your child’s future.
Early College at CF
Why wait to graduate from high school to start earning college credit? The Early College program offered at West Port High is a partnership between the College of Central Florida and the Marion County School Board to provide enhanced learning opportunities for qualified high school students through the effective use of community college programs and resources.
Qualified West Port High students may accelerate their college education through dual enrollment courses offered online or on CF's campus. Dual enrollment courses are available to eligible students at no cost!
Advantages of Early College:
- Accelerates a student's college career and provides quality educational experience close to home.
- Allows qualified students to earn college credit and high school credit at the same time.
- Provides tuition and college text books to public school students at no cost.
- Provides highly qualified teaching faculty who meet the criteria of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges.
- Provides course offerings in general education courses widely accepted and generally transferable for upper-division enrollment.
- Provides access to college resources, facilities, and services (Learning Support Center and other college activities).
- Classification as a high school junior or senior
- Cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Current scores on approved placement exam (SAT, ACT or PERT)
- Exemplary grades and behavior
- Passing FSA and EOC scores
For More Information, Contact:
Early College Counselor
PERT Test Resources: