Choosing Programs and Incoming 6th Grade Information
Whether you are a current 5th grade student coming to Howard Middle School for the first time OR you are a current 6th or 7th grade student returning to us here at HMS...WELCOME!! We are so glad to have you attending with us here at Howard Middle School! This is an exciting time in the school year where students begin to choose courses for their upcoming 6th, 7th or 8th grade year...Time sure does fly!!
In these sections, you will find information on our scheduling process for those new to HMS and for those who are currently with us, a video presentation below, that will provide you with a glimpse into our academics and electives here at HMS, as well as copies of the specific grade level scheduling sheets.
*If you are already a student here at HMS please go to the "Returning to Howard Middle School" section on the left, to view the process for scheduling our current 6th and 7th grade students. There, you will also find copies of the 7th and 8th grade scheduling sheets and course descriptions so that you and your parents may review these before they fill them out on Friday, February 24th*
*If you are currently in 5th grade, this information is in the section below this video, along with a copy of the 6th grade scheduling options sheet*
FUTURE SCHEDULING INFORMATION FOR 23-24- RECORDED FROM THE PRINCIPAL COFFEE EVENT ON 2/14/23 AT 8AM
Welcome to Howard Middle School! We are so happy that you will be joining us as a member of the BULL FAMILY!
- The HMS Guidance Staff has sent each of our elementary schools who have students that are zoned to join us for the 23-24 school year, copies of the 6th grade scheduling sheet along with a roster of names.
- Your elementary school guidance staff will either be providing you with a copy of the form you see here to take home, fill out and return to them OR, if requested by the school, a member of the HMS guidance department will visit with our zoned students, fill out the form you see here and collect that day. These 6th grade scheduling forms should reach your elementary school by the 22nd of February.
- IF you have been provided with one of our scheduling sheets, PLEASE be sure to return this no later than Monday, March 6th to your elementary school's guidance department so that they may return these to HMS quickly! OR you may also download and print this form yourself and drop it off to the HMS front office, also by Monday, March 6th. This is how we get your choices of courses and electives entered for the upcoming school year.
- If you have any further questions, please contact the guidance counselors at HMS by email or phone:
- Ms. Kiticha Sapp (Handles last names A-L) Kiticha.Sappr@marion.k12.fl.us
- Mrs. Heather Howard (Handles last names M-Z) Heather.Howard@marion.k12.fl.us
**If you have applied for school choice and have been accepted...CONGRATULATIONS!! You will be contacted soon, once we have the final list of all students who were offered and have accepted a school choice spot at HMS. At that time, you will be invited to a Welcome and Informational Meeting (Date TBA) to receive the proper grade level scheduling sheet. You and your parents or guardian can fill it out at that time. If there are any further questions about acceptance into HMS through school choice, please contact our Magnet Coordinator Ms. Helen Hamel at Helen.Hamel@marion.k12.fl.us or call HMS at 352-671-7225 and ask Ms. Hamel!