A Note About Distance Learning Platforms
A NOTE ABOUT DISTANCE LEARNING PLATFORMS
Marion County Public Schools may record online classroom sessions utilizing third-party platforms (Zoom, Google Classroom, etc.). These recordings will only be used for educational purposes and may be shared on other learning platforms. If you do not want your child’s image or identifying information recorded, utilize your device/platform controls to stop the camera feed from your device.
(Modified for Distance Learning 4/1/2020)
Eighth Grade United States History
This year we will be studying the main characters and major events in U.S. History, from the first days of European exploration until the settlement of the West after the Civil War. By examining these people and events we will develop a better understanding of how they led to the development of our country, our system of government, and our way of life.
Textbook and Supplies
This year we will be using United States History, Beginnings to 1877 published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing. The online version of the textbook is available to each child on their student portal (see directions on the distance learning page if you need help accessing the student eTextbook). In distance learning, you will need current devices (desktop, tablet, or smartphone) and reliable internet. If you are in need of technological provision, please have your parent contact FMS at 671-6325. Paper-based material is available to students with no internet access; however, assignments will need to be photographed or scanned and emailed back to the me for grading.
Attendance and Assignments
- If you are inactive in Google Classroom for three consecutive days, you are considered absent and attempts will be made to contact your parent/guardian.
- An assignment with three embedded tasks will post on Monday of each week. You may work at your own pace to complete these tasks.
- One of the above listed tasks will be a class discussion component. Discussions will contain a content related question to which all students are expected to respond. You are encouraged to engage with other students in the discussion.
- A quiz will open every Friday to assess the understanding of the assigned material.
In order for you to be successful it is very important that you participate in class. This means that you must read selections, participate in class discussions, and complete all individual assignments and quizzes.
Discipline and Class Procedures
Fort McCoy School policies and procedures are expected to be followed at all times. You are expected to address one another with kindness, consideration, and respect. Classes are monitored for inappropriate online behavior. Plagiarism and cheating will not be tolerated. Please adhere to the Marion County Student Code of Conduct available here.
The grading scale used will be:
A = 90-100 pts.
B = 80-89 pts.
C = 70-79 pts.
D = 60-69 pts.
F = 59 and below
**Please remember that you MUST pass 8th Grade U.S. History in order to graduate from Middle School.
Grades will be based on several different categories as follows:
- Homework 10%
- Class work, Quizzes, all other assignments 50% Distance Learning Category
- Test, Projects, and Presentations 40%