Heidi Maier, Ed.D., Superintendent of Schools
Take A Virtual Field Trip Through CKLA
“Community Reads!” is an award-winning family and community engagement website connecting literacy lessons in the elementary classroom with activities and conversations beyond the school day. By continuing literacy-based activities and conversations at home, families help reinforce and practice concepts learned in class. The initiative has been recognized with an 'Award of Distinction' from the Florida Public Relations Association (FPRA), a “Medallion Award” from the Sunshine State School Public Relations Association (SUNSPRA), and a 'Golden Achievement' award from the National School Public Relations Association (NSPRA).
For more information related to standards-based reading and writing lessons happening in the classroom each month, just “LOOK FOR THE BOOK” on the Marion County Public School’s website and choose your child’s grade level.
Happening This Month...
Our community offers exciting opportunities for family fun. Here are a few for this month:Virtual field trips
- Critters: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-9jhZu9Pib2suypvH5d3KNsJa_PQCMMY
- Crafts and Games: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-9jhZu9Pib0c0-AVFznbN9baqEJ3fLlR
- Nature and Parks: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-9jhZu9Pib1Bq0emUjX17UbNAIOsn0Cx
- Science: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-9jhZu9Pib35Z4nAsM4DdlZ-d6ceoNzj
- Historic: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-9jhZu9Pib16CO8-Pe_0hfVCnOTivFvB
Our community offers exciting opportunities for family fun. Here are a few for this month:
- Resources at your Public Library
- City of Ocala Events
- 7th Annual Habitat Ocala Strawberry Festival – March 7, 2020 Sat., 9 AM – 5 PM - 601 SE 25th Ave., Ocala, FL
- The Horse Capital Parade, presented by Live Oak International – March 7, 2020 Sat., 1 PM – Historic Downtown Ocala
- Ocala Veg Fest 2020! With Dr. Klaper - March 8, 2020 Sun., 10 AM – 4 PM, Ocala Downtown Market
- Ocala Spring Carnival - March 8, 2020 Sun., 12 AM – 11:59 PM – SE Livestock Pavilion
- Charlie Dixon Music Festival - March 12, 2020 Thurs., 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM – First Baptist Church, Ocala, FL
- 26th Annual Garden Spring Festival - March 12, 2020 Thurs., 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM – First Baptist Church, Ocala, FL
- UF/IFAS Extension Marion County Master Gardeners 26th Annual Spring Festival - March 16, 2020 Mon., 8 AM – 4 PM - SE Livestock Pavilion
- SE Youth Fair March Basic Wild Caving - March 22 – 29 Sat., 1-6 PM, Brick City Adventure Park (Ages 8 – Adult)
- Holocaust Survivor Eva Schloss - March 26, 2020 Thurs., 6 PM – MTI Auditorium
- Young in Art: Elementary Reception - March 28, 2020 Sat., 10 AM – 12:30 PM - Appleton Museum
- Secondary Honor Choir Concert - March 28, 2020 Sat., 2 PM- 4 PM First Baptist Church
- Ocala Pet Expo - March 28, 2020 Sat., 10 AM – 2 PM, Tuscawilla Park Historic District - 93.7 K COUNTRY & WIND-FM
- Let’s Flamingle, An Awesomesauce Event - March 28-29, 2020 7:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Baseline Road Trailhead
Resources for Bilingual and ESOL Families
Welcome to ESOL!!
We would like to extend our students, their families, and all staff members our sincerest wishes for a highly successful and productive school year.
We would like to encourage the parents and guardians of our English Language Learners (ELLs) to share in our enthusiasm by participating in the activities that will take place in their child's school during the year. The Bilingual/ESOL Newsletter offers many resources geared towards supporting bilingual and ESOL families.
To Expedite the English language acquisition of our English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) students so they function to the best of their ability and to the highest of their potential without the assistance of our Program. Ultimately, the mission of the ESOL Department is to prepare and develop successful bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural citizens in an increasingly multicultural society, meeting the challenges of the 21st century.
Choose a grade level below to view topics covered in classrooms this month: