Planning and Governmental Relations
This is a multidisciplinary department with long- and short-range planning responsibilities that are enabled by Chapters 163 and 1013, F.S. – See Ch. 163.3177(6)(a) 7., 163.31777, 163.3180 and 1013.33 of the Florida Statutes.
Long-range planning responsibilities include
- Planning for the district’s educational plant and support facility needs, and facilitating real estate transactions to acquire or dispose of real property.
- Coordinating with local governments regarding capital improvement planning related to future school sites.
- Analyzing school enrollment and residential development trends and identifying potential locations for future school sites.
- Reviewing Future Land Use Map amendments to Local Government Comprehensive Plans and providing comments regarding potential impacts to schools.
- Providing staff analysis and support to the Public School Advisory Committee regarding attributes of potential new school sites.
Short-range, or current, planning responsibilities are
- Interacting with the development community to evaluate student impacts, with regard to phasing and build-out, for proposed residential projects.
- Coordinating with local governments on school capacity impacts attributable to residential development.
- Coordinating with local governments on infrastructure impacts and responsibilities associated with new school construction.
- Attending Local Government site plan review or development review committee meetings to monitor student impacts attributable to proposed residential site plans and subdivision plats.