We are starting distance learning on Wednesday (April 1st). I will be available to answer questions from 11:00 am-1:00 pm, Monday-Friday each week.
Complete assignments and Email a copy back to email@example.com
Welcome to Driver Education
SYLLABUS: DRIVER EDUCATION
Course #- 1900310 Building- 4/Room 101 Instructor: Marcum firstname.lastname@example.org
Required Text: Florida Driver’s Handbook and Drive Right
Driver Education Course will not only cover the rules of the roadway and basic driving skills but also teach each student the importance of defensive driving techniques. This could very well be the most important course you ever take because what you learn could save your life or the lives of others.
Students will be required to satisfactorily complete:
- The four-hour D.A.T.E. course consisting of reading and answering questions from the text, lecture, notes and video material. Must have a passing score on the D.A.T.E. test. Obtain a learner’s Driver License (restricted license) by reading and answering questions from the text and from the Florida Driver’s Handbook. Must have a passing score on both RULES and SIGNS test. Failure to obtain a Learner’s permit by the end of the third week of class will result in removal from class. YOU CANNOT PASS DRIVER EDUCATION, WITHOUT A LICENSE.
- REQUIREMENTS AT DRIVER LICENSE OFFICE:
- Must be at least 15 years of age.
- Pass the D.A.T.E. test.
- Pass the road signs test.
- Pass the road rules test.
- Pass vision and hearing test.
- Have signature of parent or guardian on consent form.
- Birth certificate (original).
- Social Security card.
- Two proofs of address.
- $48.00 license fee, and a $6.25 service fee.
- Road Driving/Daily Assignment – 45% (Actual behind the wheel driving on the roadway and observing others. Answering study guide questions from each chapter of the text).
- Written Tests/Projects – 45% (Test of each chapter or unit. Interview and road sign project).
- Driving Range/Homework – 10% (10 skills test including backing, turning, parking, turnabouts, etc. Each student must keep a home driving log with parents.)
TO OBTAIN A WAIVER FOR THE ROAD TEST TO GET OPERATORS LICENSE YOU MUST:
- Must have good attendance and conduct. (Cannot miss class or not bring your permit 10 or more days or a combination of both)
- Must have maintained at least a 70 average during the course by completing all written assignments, passing written tests, range tests and highway driving skills.
- Must have completed 30 hours of classroom instruction and 6 hours behind the wheel.
- Must score 70% or better on the written and driving exams.
- Must score 70% or better for your RANGE grade.
- Home Driving LOG must be completed and returned at the end of the 9 WEEKS with at least 10 HOURS PER 9 WEEKS of driving time signed by parents.
** MUST BE LOGGED ON THE OFFICIAL DRIVER EDUCATION SHEET**
**** Students are NOT GUARANTEED to take the drivers exam upon completion of this class. Driving is a privilege that must be earned.
Come to class daily prepared to work with pencil, paper, planner and driver’s license. We take the privilege of driving very seriously and expect each student to do the same.
DRIVING RANGE RULES:
- We expect you to take your driving PRIVILEDGE seriously at all times.
- You must have your driver’s license to get behind the wheel.
- Always wear a seatbelt when you are in the car.
- Keep the windows down and radio off so you can hear the instructor at all times.
- Both the driver and passenger must maintain proper posture at all times. Be alert at all times.
- The passenger will use the auxiliary brake only in emergency situations.
- Do not use the A/C or heater on the range. The cars will overheat while operating at idle speed.
- Idle speed only (3 mph) while operating a vehicle on the range.
- Practice safe driving techniques at all times on the range. Learn to execute all the skills properly and safely.
Failure to obey the rules and regulations of the driving range will result in your loss of the driving privilege.
This class moves quickly. You will be expected to complete a chapter each week. You will be given sufficient amounts of time to complete your work in class. We only have enough textbooks for a class set. We DO NOT allow students to check out books. If you are absent or fall behind in your class work, it is YOUR responsibility to come in before school to make up the work.
Your grade will be determined based on scores received on tests, projects, daily assignments, homework, range driving and on road driving. You will keep a Range Log and turn it in at the end of each 9 weeks. Complete ALL assignments and turn them in on time. Failure to do so will result in deduction of one letter grade for each class the assignment is late. Assignments two or more days late will not be accepted. Two or more zeros will result in temporary loss of driving privileges. Students will not be assigned extra credit or make up work for work they did not complete the first time.
Daily Assignments/Road Driving (45%)
Homework/Driving Range (10%) = 9 weeks grade
1st 9 weeks (40%)
2nd 9 weeks (40%)
LEOC Final Exam (20%) = Semester grade
100-90 = A
89-80 = B
79-70 = C
69-60 = D
59-0 = F
EXPECTED CLASSROOM BEHAVIOR for DRIVER EDUCATION:
I am happy that your child has enrolled in my DRIVER EDUCATION class this year. With your encouragement, your child will participate in and enjoy many exciting and rewarding experiences this academic year.
Your child deserves the best positive educational climate possible for his or her growth, and I know that together we will make a difference in this process. The plan below outlines my classroom policies, rules and consequences for inappropriate behavior. They are:
- Always bring your permit or license to class every day. They will be checked.
- No hats, food, drinks, chewing gum, headphones, radios or playing cards.
- Keep hands, feet and all unkind remarks to yourself.
- No talking during classroom assignments.
- Cell phone use is prohibited during class.
- Listen and follow directions. Failure to abide by the rules will result in temporary loss of driving privileges.
- Be on time and always sit in your assigned seat. The tardy policy will be strictly enforced.
- Raise your hand and wait to be called upon during instruction.
- Refrain from sharpening pencils and disposing of trash during instruction.
- Do not ask to use the restroom during instruction.
- Do not pack up until told to do so.
If a student chooses not to follow the rules, the following steps will be taken:
Second Offense:Parent Contact
Third Offense:Administrative Removal from Class with a Referral.
Be assured that my goal is to work with you to ensure the success of your child this year.
Please read and discuss this classroom management plan with your child, then sign and return the form below. Please feel free to contact me if there is ever a question that I may be able to answer.
Jack C. Marcum
Vanguard High School – Driver Education
Parent/Guardian Signature ________________________________________________________
Student Signature _______________________________________________________________