Dr. Diane Gullett, Superintendent of Schools
By unanimous appointment of the Marion County School Board, Dr. Diane Gullett stood out above 46 other candidates in Spring 2020 for the top educator spot in Marion County. With 30 years in public education, Dr. Gullett leads day-to-day operations for the district's 43,000 students and 7,000 employees.
Dr. Gullett holds a doctorate in Educational Leadership specializing in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida. A die-hard Gator, her undergraduate degree in Elementary Education comes from the University of Florida. She attended the Harvard Institute for Superintendents and District Leaders in 2017 and most recently earned her Certificate in Education Finance from Georgetown University.
Dr. Gullett served with Orange County Public Schools for 19 years, first as an elementary school dean and principal, then rising through the ranks to become area superintendent. She moved to Nevada in 2018 for the number two spot, working with Clark County Schools, the fifth-largest district in the nation with 323,000 students and over 42,000 employees.
Throughout her three decades of public education, Dr. Gullett continuously recognizes the importance of professional development and community commitment. As proof, her professional and community affiliations include:
- AdvancED (Certified Lead Evaluator for School Improvement)
- American Heart Association (Board Member)
- Aspen Institute (Cultivating Conditions for Organizational Learning at the System Level; Urban Literacy Leadership Network; Paradigm Shift for Professional Learning - Policy and Practice)
- Florida Association of School Administrators
- Florida Association of Instructional Supervisors and Administrators (President 2015-2016; Executive Board Member)
- Florida Department of Education (Chair, Steering Committee for Florida PD Redesign Team; International Teacher Education Global Community of Practice)
- The Foundation for Orange County Public Schools (Board Member)
- Harvard University (Ed.L.D. Doctoral Resident Supervisor and Mentor)
- Orange County Association for Elementary School Principals (Board Member)
- St. Luke’s United Methodist Church (Inaugural Education Coalition Team)
- University of Central Florida (Educational Leadership Coalition; National Urban Special Education Leadership Initiative Doctoral Mentor; Visiting Scholar)
- University of Florida College of Education (Board Member)
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas (Visiting Scholar)
- Valencia College (Adjunct Education Professor)
- Virginia Association of Secondary School Principals (State Conference Keynote Speaker)
In 2018, Marion County voters approved a measure directing school board members to appoint future superintendents. Dr. Gullett is the first-ever appointed superintendent in Marion County Public Schools' 151-year history.
Supt. Dr. Diane Gullett
Carolyn Wright, Administrative Assistant
Julie McCallum, Confidential Secretary