Information For Parents
We strongly recommend that at least one parent sign up for a free guardian account. You will need to have handy your student's username and password to create the account.
Please click on this link to begin creating your Parent/Guardian account: How to create a Guardian Account. Click on the "Apply for Parent/Guardian Account" button.
Making Virtual Learning Work — Tips for Parents
It is well known that parental involvement is critical to student success. A few key insights will help you support your child’s learning at Marion Virtual School:
- Know your student’s username and password. This provides access to the course, your child’s grade book, teacher announcements, assignment feedback and more. You may also access this information using your guardian username and password.
- Check weekly to see submitted assignments and grades.
- Help your child decide upon and stick to a schedule. At least 5 to 8 hours per week are needed to complete each of our courses.
- Encourage your child to ask questions, call the teacher, or email problem areas to teachers when he or she needs help.
- Provide the teacher your email address to receive monthly progress reports.
- Read instructor comments on assignments. Discuss trouble spots with your child. Call or email your MVS teacher or guidance counselor as often as needed. We are here to help! Likewise, make yourself available to discuss your child’s progress with the teacher by providing current phone numbers and promptly returning calls from the teacher.
- Provide a dedicated, quiet space where your student has access to the Internet, a telephone, and printer.
- Know that your child is being actively taught by a highly qualified and experienced teacher certified in the course subject. Your child is never expected to master the material alone. Also know that the curriculum was designed and is continually modified by skilled educators.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the fastest results with any FLVS course. For Marion Virtual courses, simply click on the technical Support Button on the navigation bar within your course, or email Michael.MacLennan@marion.k12.fl.us. Our policy is to answer all help requests within 24 hours. If your need is urgent, please call Marion Virtual School at 671-6892.
For Parents of Home-Schooled Students
- If you are providing education for your student at home, please click on the following link for additional information that applies to home schooling your student at Marion Virtual School:
- Home School Resources Here you will find sufficient information to help you determine if home schooling is what is best for your student.