Welcome to English I and English I Honors
Assignments for March 30 - April 15, 2020 - PLEASE READ
Hello, all! I hope you've been well. Now that we are getting into virtual learning starting Wednesday, April 1st, a few issues I need to address:
1. Assignments will be posted and submitted on Google Classroom. This should not be a problelm as we have been using that platform all year. However, if you have any difficulty getting onto Google Classroom, please email me ASAP so that you can have the assignments delieved to you via email.
2. Most assignments will come from the website CommonLit. When you first use the site, you will need to enter a course code. Please check for indivdual course codes on your Google Classroom site. You'll be prompted to make an account. Please do.
3. Multiple choice questions will be recorded and reported to me. Short response questions need to be answered in RACE format: restate; answer; cite; explain. As such, a short response should have 4 sentences at a minimum. I will be entering grades into Skyward so you can keep up with your progress.
4. If you have any questions, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also post directly to Google Classroom. Finally, I will be available on a work phone Monday through Friday, 10 am to 11 am and 1 pm to 2 pm. My work number is 352-405-1197. You will be prompted to say your name so that I know who it is calling.
5. Though we are going virtual, I am still responsible for taking attendance. I will post a daily sign in on Google Classroom. To be counted, all you need to do is comment on the thread by 3 pm. If you do not comment, I will mark you absent for the day. If you are absent 3 days in a row, I am required to contact WPHS administration to do a follow up with your family.
I am Ms. Otero, and I'm happy to be your English I/honors teacher this year! We will be working toward becoming better readers, writers, and speakers of English. Students in this course will be working toward mastery of the Florida State Standards for English Language Arts and will be responsible for taking the 9th grade FSA in writing and reading. I will use this website to update all important documents used in class, due dates, and announcements. Please check it frequently, especially when absent from school. You can learn more about me in the Meet the Teacher Page.