Welcome to Mrs. Kinsler's Class!
Welcome Parents and Students! School starts soon and it is my goal to give you the best educational experience possible. With that being said, I would like to update you proactive parents and awesome students about the upcoming year. This is an exciting time for our district as we roll out an entirely new education management system as well as a new textbook for the K-12 English/Language Arts department.
Canvas is to designed to be a one-stop-shop for all users including teachers, students and parents alike. Both students and parents will be given opportunities throughout the year to check grades, assignments and overall student progress on the platform. During the first days of school, students will receive instruction and resources on how to navigate seamlessly through the system. Parents, if possible, be sure to walk through these processes at home with your student(s) so that you have access to everything they do at any time.
This year we will begin instruction from the SAVVAS textbook, My Perspectives. This text is a consumable book that will remain in the classroom. Students will be allowed to only pull out the unit they are working on at the time. Please make sure that your student is equipped with an one-inch binder for that purpose. It is also a good idea to equip him/her with a highlighter, pen and pencil, colored pencils and plenty of paper!
I recognize that this is unchartered territory for most of us. This transition may not be as seamless as we would like it to be. However, we are capable of making this experience positive and enriching. Let us all remember to be patient, considerate and attentive! Academic success is based on growth and that happens over time. As we embark on this new journey, listed below are a few things you may want to consider before moving forward.
- Reliable access is essential. Not all online platforms will work well with all mobile devices. Be sure to troubleshoot your technology early in the process to insure accessibility.
- Create a setting. Have a specific time and place to devote to homework and study.
- Establish a routine. Schedule work sessions to allow for breaks as needed.
- Be accountable. It is a great practice to partner with a classmate for keeping each other on track.
- Communicate! Always, always, always, reach out if you are feeling, lost, confused or overwhelmed.
I am here to address any questions or concerns you may have. I can be contacted directly at Madelene.James-Kinsler@marion.k12.fl.us.
Have a great day, do good things and make good decisions!
This is for you!