The Benjamin Franklin Society of Scholars was founded in December 2001 by the Marion County Social Studies Council, a cooperative effort of social studies teachers within the Marion County schools. Students throughout the district are selected for membership in the honor society on an annual basis to students in the 6th through 12th grades.
The criteria for selection are as follows:
The Franklin Society Student:
A. Must have earned either a 3.5 minimum grade point average in the Social Studies and a 3.0 in all other academic areas, or a 4.0 minimum grade point average in the Social Studies and a 2.0 in all other academic areas.
B. Shall have exhibited one or more of the following Franklin-like traits:
• Civic, Community, and/or School Participation
• Inquisitiveness and Breadth of Interests
• Contribution to the Learning Atmosphere
• Political Astuteness
• Demonstration of Problem Solving and Critical Thinking Skills
• Superior Ability in Written Expression
C. Exhibits appropriate classroom behavior at all times.