The students read this the first day of school. Science safety is a big part of hands-on science. We will complete a lot of science activities this year. Please look at their science notebooks.
Fifth Grade Science Laboratory Contract
I have been instructed in the necessary safety procedures required in the course. I agree to abide by the following guidelines.
- Safety apparel will be worn when specified by the instructor.
- Long or loose hair will be tied back. Excessively loose clothing or jewelry will not be worn.
- Keep work area free of any books and materials not need for what you are working on.
- Texting devices, cell phones, and electronic music devices are not permitted in the science laboratory.
- There will be no drinking or eating in the laboratory.
- Experiments will be done in the specified order with the prescribed quantities of chemicals.
- Work quietly so that you can hear any announcements concerning cautions and safety.
- Only the chemicals specified by the teacher will be used. No unauthorized experimentation will be done.
- The proper use of safety equipment and correct evacuation procedures will be followed.
- Wash hands thoroughly before beginning and after completing an experiment.
- Contact lenses will not be worn during specified experiments.
- Horseplay or other inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated during laboratory experiments.
- Never throw anything in the laboratory.
- Never taste chemicals or smell them directly.
- Never pick up broken glass with bare hands.
- Do not touch anything that might be hot.
- Report all accidents, no matter how minor, to the teacher.
- Never work without teacher supervision in the lab.
- Do not remove any chemicals or equipment from the lab without teacher’s permission.
Failure to follow these guidelines may result in reduction in grade, disciplinary action, and/or exclusion form laboratory activities.
Student signature: ____________________________________________________________