Syllabus & Calendar of Lessons
1. "The purpose of this course is to enable students to develop basic knowledge and skills in the research process with emphasis on determining and refining research questions. The content should include, but not be limited to, the following:
-research questions and hypotheses
-definition, analysis, and evaluation of research questions
-review of literature and other resources
-formulation of hypotheses
-report formats, styles, and content
-critical analysis of research
-a major research project, preferably cross-disciplinary"
(Source: Florida DOE Course Description)
2. The theme for research this year is "Cancer" - within this broad topic, students will define an area of research, conduct research, and present a critical analysis of their findings in various types of projects: a) research paper b) media presentation c) panel presentation.
3. There will essentially be four types of lessons:
a) Research and writing skills (the most important)
c) College/Career/Civil Life connections (just a few)
d) Digital citizenship skills
4. The class is an online semester elective and will fulfill student needs for credits for completing middle school. Since it is online, it is vital that students manage the platform (Google Classroom), and methods of online or digital communication.
5. Textbook - "How to Write a Great Research Paper" (World Book)
Chapters 1 and 2
Chapters 3 and 4