PHYSICAL SCIENCE COURSE SYLLABUS Mr. Cherry 2020 – 2021 Office Hours: Before school, Lunch 12:00 – 12:25, after school, or by appointment Contact: email – William.Cherry@marion.k12.fl.us Best method for a quick response phone: 671-4900 X-59494 during office hours (Do not leave message) Teacher website: access through microsoft teams via the Vanguard website; directions will be given in class
I Course Description Course Title: Physical Science Course Number: 2003310 Credits: 1
This course gives a general overview of chemistry and physics and is not intended to prepare students for rigorous college science course work.
II Course Objectives Physical Science Course Benchmarks are listed at the Florida Department of Education web address. Please visit this page to view the course curriculum: http://www.cpalms.org/Public/PreviewCourse/Preview/102
III Course Units (per 9-week grading period)
Semester I: Science Skills, Motion, Forces & Motion, Work & Power, Energy, Mechanical Waves
Semester II: States of Matter, Properties of Matter, Atomic Structure, Periodic Table, Chemical Bonds, Chemical Reactions, Acids & Bases
Common End of Course Exam
IV Supplies Composition book; spiral notebook; simple calculator, ruler; pencil or pen
V Grading Student mastery of the course material is determined by tests, lab activities, and class/daily assignments. Method of evaluation may be modified as deemed necessary by the instructor.
Grading Scale: A 90 – 100 B 80 -89 C 70 – 79 D 60-69 F 0 - 59
Quarter Grade Weights: Semester Grade Weights: Tests 50% Quarter I 35% Classwork 40% Quarter II 35% Homework 10% CEOC 30% Total Quarter 100% Total Quarter 100%
CHERRY CLASS PROCEDURES
- When bell rings, be settled in Assigned Seat quietly doing the Bellwork.
- Paper Heading: Name, Date Class Title and Period in upper right corner Title of Assignment on top line (chapter, page, & problem #'s Blue or Black Ink only.
- Restroom Privileges: Students sign out and take Restroom pass
- Make-Up Work due to an excused absence is your responsibility. Assignments are posted on the teacher website. Students must take initiative to reschedule test with teacher before or after school for make-up. See Student handbook for policy.
- Late work is not accepted, unless under prior arraignments are made with the teacher.
- Dismissal: Teacher dismisses class, not the bell. NEW THIS YEAR: Car riders and walkers are dismissed at 2:45 PM; Bus riders and others are dismissed at 2:50 PM Gather belongings, Pick up garbage, Push in chair (6th period put chairs on tables) Students are not permitted to line up at the door.
CHERRY CLASS RULES 1. Come to class prepared: proper sleep (8 -10 hours): healthy food, school supplies 2. Respect yourself and others and their property. 3. No electronic devices (Cell phones, iPods, etc.) Strictly Enforced! 4. You may drink in class for hydration; You are responsible for cleaning up spills; must have cap on container. 5. Do your best with a winning attitude!
#1. Student States Rule #2 Hall Conference #3 Parent Contact #4 Discipline Referral
I have read the Physical Science Syllabus and Classroom Procedures & rules
I understand that Physical Science could be the last science in my child’s high school career and is a required credit to graduate.
I know that the curriculum information is found on the Florida CPALMS website.
Mr. Cherry can be contacted via email on the Vanguard website.
Class Assignments and Test Dates are posted on Mr. Cherry’s Vanguard website through Microsoft teams. Information as to how to access this was given in class.
Student Signature _________________________________________
Print Name _______________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature __________________________________