Seventh Grade Civics
Instructor: C. Hillard
The primary content for the course pertains to the principles, functions, and organization of government; the origins of the American political system; the roles, rights, responsibilities of United States citizens; and methods of active participation in our political system. The course is embedded with strong geographic and economic components to support civics education instruction.
First Nine Weeks
- Foundations of US Government
- Anatomy of the Constitution
Second Nine Weeks
- Anatomy of the Constitution
- Application of the Constitution
- State and Local Government
Cumulative Mid-Term Exam
Third Nine Weeks
- Legal System and application of the Legal System
- Citizenship and Civics Engagement
Fourth Nine Weeks
- International Relations
- Economics and Geography
End of Course Exam
Category/Percentages Grading Scale:
Tests/Project - 45% 90 – 100 = A
Quizzes/classwork - 40% 80 – 89 = B
Homework/Planner - 10% 70 – 79 = C
Notebook/Bellwork - 5% 60 – 69 = D
0 – 59 = F
- Homework and Classwork – All work is given a grade based upon the number of questions for a given assignment. In the event that a student is absent it is their responsibility to ask the instructor for the assignment that was missed when they return to school.
- *REMIND APP* to enhance home-school communication, I plan to use an app called Remind. This app was designed for teachers and allows me to send reminders about classroom happenings via text message. I have found it is a quick and effective way to get messages to you about important things that are happening in class. If you are interested in receiving these messages, follow the directions found below. Standard text messaging rates will apply. One neat feature of this app is that all phone numbers are kept private. Also, you will not receive any advertisements. To sign up to receive messages, simply text @hg99ch3 to the number 81010. If, at any time, you would like to stop receiving text updates, simply text STOP to the same number.
- All teachers will have a website that provides detailed information on what is going on in the classroom. You can access the website at the North Marion Middle School homepage.
- All of my classes will have access to and must use Microsoft teams. We will be using this platform for all distance learning and some in person learning. The students can access their specific classes on the student portal.
- It is important to understand the difference between “helping” and “cheating,” as well as when it is permitted to work together. Students may work together to complete most homework and classwork assignments, however copying another’s answers is not permissible. The general rule of thumb for assignments is that working together or explaining how to do something is helping. Giving another student a “free ride” without contributing to the assignment is cheating. Quizzes and tests are not cooperative assignments, and it is cheating to assist another student with their quiz or test.
Daily School Supplies for Mrs. Hillard’s Classroom
- Student’s will need to come to class every dayy, with a 1” binder with 6 dividers specific for US History class, paper and pencils or pen. You will not be supplied with them. Because of the new Covid-19 guidelines for safety, students will need all of their own materials. I will not be able to share markers, pens, etc. I separate list of needed items will be going home with your student and will be posted to my webpage.
- Any additional items will be requested at a later date.
Mrs. Hillard’s Classroom Rules
- I will pay attention and not disrupt class.
- I will respect other peoples’ property and dignity.
- I will come to class on time and prepared.
- I will address others with the proper tone of voice and with respect.
- I will follow directions when I am told.
- I will accept responsibility for my behaviors.
I, ____________________________________, the undersigned parent of ___________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Printed Name Printed Name of Student
Signed (Parent/Guardian Signature) ______________________________________________ Date_________
Parent Cell Phone _______________ Parent E-mail address: ___________________________________