Ms. Deborah Cannon – 2020-2021 Building 4 – Room 006
Phone: 352-671-6235 ext. 55076 – T
Teacher Web Page: https://www.marionschools.net/Domain/6746
- Office Hours:
- Available for additional assistance – Please allow at least 24 hours on weekdays to respond:
- School Day – 9:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. Monday - Friday
- Teacher Planning – 8:05 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. (two way communication may occur during these hours) – Monday – Friday
- Classroom Phone Number 352-671-6235 ext. 55076
- Email is best – Deborah.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Course Name: 7th Grade Life Science – Regular and Cambridge
- Periods 1-4 - Life Science Regular & Periods 5-6 – Cambridge Life Science
- Online classes are periods 1-3
- Course Objectives, and Goals:
- Seventh, grade Life Science topics covered: The Nature of Science, Cells, Human Body Systems, Heredity, Reproduction of cells/living organisms, Evolution, Classification, and Ecology.
- Each Lesson will have the goal of covering the following: W.I.C.O.R. - Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading
- All graded homework/quiz/test assignments will be assigned and due on Wednesday and or Thursday. (Depending on which day the student is scheduled to attend class.)
- Grading and Weighting of Categories and MCPS Grading Scale:
- Total 100%
- For each 9 weeks, there will be a minimum of 12 grades total, with a minimum of four grades for each category. There will be a minimum of one grade posted/week.
- MCPS Grading Scale: 100-90 = A; 89-80= B; 79-70= C; 69-60= D, 59-0= F
- Make-Up, Late, and Suspended Assignment Policy:
- Homework is assigned on Wednesday/Thursday and due in 7 days.
- Absent students are required to make up any missed work and tests within 2 days of an absence.
- Late work due to non-absence will be accepted with a 10% penalty for each day up to 3 days.
- Classroom Rules Tardy Policy:
- Respectful towards others, Enthusiastic about learning, Seated in assigned area, Prepared and ready to work, Eager to follow directions, Challenge oneself to give their very best each day, and Thoughtful towards others.
- Tardy and Classroom consequences:
- Students are expected to arrive to class ready to participate. Class expectations are posted and expected to be followed. Infractions will follow these guidelines:
- 1st offense – Warning
- 2nd offense – Time out/Parent Contact
- 3rd offense – Detention/silent lunch
- 4th offense – Referral
- (Tardy and Classroom consequences continued)
- There are 4 minutes scheduled for students to change classes. Students are expected to be in their seats and have their supplies five minutes after the bell rings. When tardiness occurs 3 times, the teacher will discuss with the student, then after five instances of tardiness total the parent will be contacted and additional disciplinary action may occur.
- Cell Phone Policy:
- All student cell phones must be turned off and out of reach, and site, for all students.
- Academic Dishonesty Policy –
- In accordance the BMS student handbook, consequences of violations of the Academic Honor code will be followed and is documented below:
- 1st offense: At a minimum, student will receive a “0” for the assignment. Parents will be notified of the incident and the school will request for a mandatory parent conference. Student will receive an administrative referral added to their academic file.
- 2nd offense: At a minimum student will receive a “0” for the assignment. Parents will be notified of the incident and the school will request for a mandatory parent conference. Student will receive an office discipline referral and a copy in their student file. The student will be dismissed from any academic programs in which they participate.
- Additional Resources –
- Academic Platform Used: Microsoft Teams
- Contact information:
- Email: Deborah.email@example.com
- Phone: 352-671-6235 ext. 55076
- Teacher Web Page: : https://www.marionschools.net/Domain/6746
- Laboratory Policies:
Florida Statute 1003.47 Biological Experiments on living subjects.
1(a) Dissection may be performed on nonliving mammals or birds secured from a recognized source of such specimens and under supervision of qualified instructors. Students may be excused upon written request of a parent.
When students choose to opt out of a dissection, it is acceptable to give an alternative assignment to assess their mastery.
Please be aware that part 3 of this statute states:
If any instructional employee of a public high school or career center knowingly or intentionally fails or refuses to comply with any provisions of this section, the district board may suspend, dismiss, return to annual contract, or otherwise discipline such employee.
The entire statute can be found at the link provided and will be available on the portal as a PDF https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/1003.47
I look to an exciting year with your student,
Belleview Middle School
Date given to student: _________________Date due: ________________
Please sign, and return the information below to Ms. Cannon. (homework grade)
Student’s first/last name (print please): ______________________________
Class Period ______
Parent/Guardian contact email:______________________________________
Parent/Guardian daytime phone contact: ______________________________
Parent’s/Guardian signature: _______________________________________