WHAT ARE THE READING REQUIREMENTS FOR ADV. COURSES THIS SCHOOL YEAR?
* Students are required to engage in daily independent reading for 20 - 30 minutes.
* The i-Ready Diagnostic Test at the beginning of the school year will provide students reading levels and goals.
* Students will be required to select a book from the library at school or community, at an appropriate reading level, each nine weeks.
* Weekly homework will consist of writing a one or two paragraph summary that will focus on a particular literary element.
* There are specific due dates for independent reading-related assignments for the duration of the school year. (subject to change)
The final reading assessment can be a one-pager activity or a book report. (student choice) Quarterly one-pagers or book reports will be due on the Friday prior to the final week of each nine-week grading period (see schedule below).There are important things to consider when creating your one-pager or writing your book report.
- Students must create a one-pager on a NEW book they are reading from the attached list, for the FIRST TIME during the current nine weeks.
- Students will be provided with one class period to create their one-pager during class.
- Students may choose to complete the assignment on their own time.
- Include the title of the book and the name of the author.
- Include a sketch and a sentence representing the setting (time and place).
- Sketch or explain the conflict in the text.
- Point of view- Who is telling the story? How much do they know?
- Examine one or two main characters and their development (characterization).
- Include a sketch of one symbol that represents the book’s main theme and explain what the theme is.
- Students must submit a book report on a NEW book they are reading from the attached list, for the FIRST TIME during the current nine weeks.
- Students will be provided with one class period to compose book reports during class.
- Students are required to write/type book reports according to guidelines attached to this paper.
- Students can submit reports in print or electronically.
- Students may choose to complete their book reports on their own time.
For important additional information about this assignment and to view the recommended reading list click the link below.