7th Grade Language Arts
Language Arts is the study of grammar, composition, communication, and critical thought. In this class, we will read thought-provoking texts, both fiction and non-fiction, to better our understanding of the world and our place in it. We will focus on correctly identifying the main idea of these texts and supporting our findings with details from the text.
In addition to reading, this class will focus on informative and argumentative writing. We will continue to develop and strengthen our writing skills to produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
Spiral notebook loose-leaf paper
A book that you are reading
Textbook: Florida Collections 7 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (available online using student portal)
Workbook: Close Reader 7 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Year-at-a-Glance general overview (Book: HMH Florida Collections 7)
Unit 1. “Guided by a Cause.”
In this unit, students will explore some ways in which people help to improve the world around them and why they felt motivated to make a difference in the first place.
Unit 2. “Risk and Exploration.”
In this unit, students will consider human achievement and consequence. We will dive into the ocean and look to the sky at some of our most amazing discoveries.
Unit 3. “Perception and Reality.”
Here, students will confront the world around them by interpreting how our senses and personalities shape our reality.
Unit 4. “Bold Actions.”
Our academic pursuits will culminate with this unit, where students will examine tales of adventure and bravery.
- Enter and exit the classroom quietly.
- Arrive to class on time and ready to work as soon as you come in. (Daily activities will be posted)
- Remain seated unless you have permission to move about.
- Keep hands and feet in your own personal space.
- No food, drinks other than water, or gum allowed in class.
- Raise your hand, wait your turn, and be courteous and respectful of others.
- At the end of the period, return all materials to the proper location, and wait for the teacher to dismiss the class.
- Do your personal best to meet your goals and display a positive attitude.
- If you are absent, you will have the same number of days to make up the work.
- Ask questions to clarify any confusion and participate in all activities.
Try to use the restroom during your time in between classes. If you do need to use the restroom during class, please try to go only during independent or group work time and not during instruction or class discussion time. You must fill out the restroom log that remains in my classroom with your name and the time that you leave the class and the time that you return to class.
Cell Phone Policy:
Cell phones must be put away and remain out of sight during the class period. However, there may be times when I will allow students to use their electronic devices in class. If any student is found using their device for anything other than what is allowed, that student will lose their electronic privileges in class.
1st offense – Redirect, verbal warning
2nd offense – Verbal warning, possible parent call, privileges revoked or seat may be changed.
3rd offense - Parent call, privileges revoked, and seat changed.
4th offense – Discipline referral