SYLLABUS for HOPE Variation #1506320
CLASS ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE ACCESSED IN MICROSOFT TEAMS THROUGH THE STUDENTS OFFICE 365. Chapter Test and quiz will be completed in Skyward
COURSE DESCRIPTION: The purpose of this course is to develope and enhance healthy behaviors that influence lifestyle choices that impact the student's healthy and fitness. Students will combine the learning of principles and background information in a classroom setting with physical application of the knowledge. The course will be primarily be split up between 2 to 3 days in classroom covering Health education issues/ topics such as but are not limited to: Mental/Social Health, Physical Activity, Components of Physical Fitness, Nutrition and Wellness Planning, Diseases and Disorders, Health Advocacy, Personal Fitness,Safety, Evaluation & Training for Fitness, BRAZEN( abstinence education or sexual risk avoidance) substance Abuse.
METHOD OF CLASS INSTRUCTION: Lecture and discussions are supplemented by reading, writing, small group discussion, project, guest speakers, audiovisual aids, wellness plan, fitness training & personal evaluation.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION ACTIVITIES: WILL INCLUDE TWO OR THREE ACTIVITIES A WEEK INSTRUCTION THAT INCLUDES BUT NOT LIMITED TO THESE PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES SUCH AS:
- TRACK IT DAY
- Wellness Monday Fitness Center ( weight machine and step-cardio activity)
- Tae Bo video/activities
- Dumbell fitness routine
- Circuit training
- Elastic band resistance training
- Various other body weight training/calisthenics
- Free choice play game/ activities ( basketball, vollyball, soccer, frisbee, and ect.)
COURSE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
REQUIRED MATERIALS: Students are expected to bring the following items to class each day.
- #2 pencil or dark blue or black ink ( NO RED COLORED INK PLEASE)
- Duo-tang folder with pockets.
- Loose leaf paper
- Masks are required while in classroom and when social distancing is not possible. While outside, If students are maintaing social distancing mask are an option to wear. Students may be required to wipe down equipment before/after use.
- Water Bottles with a secure top for use during physical activity time is encouraged ( Drinking from water fountain is prohibited)
- Tennis shoes are required on activity days ( Monday and Block days)
West Ports Expectations: WE ARE PROMPT TO CLASS, WE ARE PREPARED TO LEARN, WE ARE POLITE WITH FELLOW STUDENTS AND STAFF MEMBERS AND WE ARE PRODUCTIVE INDIVIDUALS AS WPHS STUDENTS WHILE ON CAMPUS AND IN SOCIETY.
NO FOOD, NO DRINK, NO GUM, NO CANDY, IN CLASSROOM, GYM, OR FITNESS CENTER. A WATER BOTTLE WITH A SECURE TOP IS PERMITTED IN CLASSROOM,FITNESS CENTER and OUTSIDE areas. Water fountains are to fill water bottles only. Please bring your own personal water bottle ( NO DRINKING FROM FOUNTAINS WILL BE ALLOWED)
ABSENT STUDENTS MUST BE PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE TO OBTAIN MISSED MATERIAL through the MICROSOFT TEAM FORMAT.You will not find missed assignments
on my teacher website. Additional help to complete any assignments can be utilized through these various listed below:
1. CHECK TEACHER WEBSITE CALENDAR TO VIEW THE PRIOR WEEK'S CLASSROOM AND FITNESS ACTIVITIES (ALTHOUGH YOU MUST GET ASSIGNMENTS
DIRECTLY FROM MICROSOFT TEAMS.)
2. BE PRESENT DURING ALPHA B HOUR TIME IN COACH Jones CLASSROOM TO MAKE UP AND DISCUSS ANY INFORMATION FOR MISSED TEST OR ASSIGNMENTS.
3. USE THE EXAMPLE NOTEBOOK which is available in the classroom to make up and discuss any information for a missed test or assignments.
4. It is the students responsibility to make up any missed work within 3 days after returning from any excused absences.
5. Remember it may take a few days to grade and see your make up work in Gradebook.
STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO COMPLETE ALL ASSIGNMENTS ON TIME, ATTEND ALL CLASSES, PARTICIPATE IN CLASS DISCUSSIONS, AND PARTICIPATE IN ALL
H.O.P.E. COURSE GRADE WILL BE BASED ON THESE CATEGORIES:
CLASSROOM ASSIGNMENTS, FITNESS LOGS AND OTHER ASSIGNMENTS ITEMS = 20%
PHYSICAL PARTICIPATION: (TENNIS SHOES ARE REQUIRED DURING PARTICIPATION IN ALL PHYSICAL/FITNESS ACTIVITIES) Students are encouraged to wear physical activity appropriate clothing and Athletic/tennis shoes every Monday and every block day. Boat shoes, canvas shoes, flip flops, slides, sneaker boots,crocs or any other casual wear shoes will not be allowed. = 50%
TEST AND PROJECTS = 30%
20% OF COURSE GRADE IS THE END OF COURSE EXAM.
IF A STUDENT IS UNABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY DUE TO A MEDICAL REASON, HE/SHE MUST PRESENT A DOCTOR'S NOTE STATING THE NUMBER OF DAYS EXCUSED. A NOTE FROM A PARENT WILL EXCUSE A STUDENT FOR ONE DAY ONLY. PLEASE SEE A DOCTOR IF MORE TIME IS NEEDED.
( GO TO WWW.CPALMS.ORG TO SEE STANDARDS) OR THE CLASS WEB SITE WWW.WESTPORTWOLFPACK.ORG)