Thank you for visiting! This page lists recommended activities meant to prepare students for Geometry Honors next year. If are scheduled for my Geometry Honors course, these activities will help you prepare for the Geometry course content. They are not graded, but having proficiency with these skills is important for getting the most out of the Geometry class.
- Students enrolled in Geoemtry will have successfully completed Algebra. Since there are a number of these skills in Geometry, it is strongly recommended that you complete the entire "On-Ramp to Algebra" program. You should be familiar with much of this content from learning it in Algebra.
- Students planning to compete in MATHCOUNTS during the 2020-2021 school year will need to complete the "On-Ramp," since these skills are common to many MATHCOUNTS competition problems.
The amount of time I am budgeting for these activities is approximately one hour each week. Individual students needs will vary; however, you should budget 12-15 hours total to complete the program. Please aim to complete at least one subsection each week. This will help prevent frustration, burnout, or procrastination. Think of this like learning a foreign language - if you don't speak the other language, you will forget how to use it!
To access the "On Ramp to Algebra," log on to Math Nation using your student desktop. Math Nation is located in "Programs." Once you log-in, there is a drop-down menu at the top-left corner of the page. Select "On-Ramp To Algebra." Complete the "Start-Up" assessment. Use your own knowledge for this assessment - if you do not know how to do something, that is okay! The assessment will place you in the "On-Ramp" program. If you are having trouble finding the "On-Ramp to Algebra," you can also find it by selecting Algebra 1 and it will be the first option in "Videos and More."
1. Number and Quantity
- Quantities - Integers
- Quantities - Fractions
- Quantities - Percent
2. Number System
- Properties of Rational and Irrational Numbers
- Properties of Exponents
- Operations on Polynomials
- Creating Equations
- Solving Equations in One Variable
- Solutions of a Coordinate System
- Understanding Functions
- Interpreting Functions
- Analyzing Functions
5. Statistics and Probability
- Data Analysis
Once you have completed the Math Nation "On Ramp to Algebra," you should visit Khan Academy. Their section on "Basic Geometry" (LINK) will help you prepare for Geometry course content. I recommend exploring the following topics first:
3. Coordinate Plane
4. Pythagorean Theorem
(The other topics are helpful, but these are the first things we talk about in Geometry.)
If you have questions regarding Math Nation, or how to prepare for Geometry, please e-mail me at William.Lockley@marion.k12.fl.us and I will respond as soon as possible!