A Note About Distance Learning Platforms
A NOTE ABOUT DISTANCE LEARNING PLATFORMS
Marion County Public Schools may record online classroom sessions utilizing third-party platforms (Zoom, Google Classroom, etc.). These recordings will only be used for educational purposes and may be shared on other learning platforms. If you do not want your child’s image or identifying information recorded, utilize your device/platform controls to stop the camera feed from your device.
(Modified for MCPS Online 8/16/2020)
Eighth Grade United States History - Online
This year we will be studying the main characters and major events in U.S. History, from the first days of European exploration until the settlement of the West after the Civil War. By examining these people and events we will develop a better understanding of how they led to the development of our country, our system of government, and our way of life.
Textbook and Supplies
We will be using United States History, Beginnings to 1877 published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing. The online version of the textbook is available to each child on their student portal (see directions on the distance learning page if you need help accessing the student eTextbook). In distance learning, you will need current devices (desktop, tablet, or smartphone) and reliable internet.
Attendance and Assignments
- Students must login to each online period and remain in that period according to the daily bell schedule.
- For MCPS Online, we will use Microsoft Teams, please familiarize yourself with this program - available on your student portal in Office 365 (orange and white square). CLICK HERE for Marion County Public Schools' Website, a helpful resource for navigating the MCPS Online environment.
- As we are using a block-style schedule, there will usually be two lesson per period for this U.S. History class. Exceptions will be project-style activities, Document Based Question activities (DBQs), and assessments. Homework will be given weekly and most assignments will be from the U.S. History consumable workbook available through the student portal.
- Students will must participate in discussions, or posts, based on lessons within the curriculum, as well as "meetings" in which they will be expected to engage with the teacher and classmates via video and audio through Microsoft Teams.
In order for you to be successful it is very important that you participate in class. This means that you must read selections, participate in class discussions, and complete all individual assignments and quizzes.
Discipline and Class Procedures
Fort McCoy School policies and procedures are expected to be followed at all times. You are expected to address one another with kindness, consideration, and respect. Classes are monitored for inappropriate online behavior. Plagiarism and cheating will not be tolerated. Please adhere to the Marion County Student Code of Conduct available HERE.
The grading scale used will be:
A = 90-100 pts.
B = 80-89 pts.
C = 70-79 pts.
D = 60-69 pts.
F = 59 and below
**Please remember that you MUST pass 8th Grade U.S. History in order to graduate from Middle School.
Grades will be based on several different categories as follows:
- Homework 10%
- Class work, Quizzes, all other assignments 50%
- Test, Projects, and Presentations 40%