History: Invented in the USA
Object of the Game: To advance the football across the opponent’s goal line by running and or passing the ball.
Number of players on a team: 6-8. Less than 5 players will result in a forfeit.
How to play the game
The team with the red flags will kick off first. If your team has an X by it on the scoreboard, you will be the red team. The kicking team will stand on the 5-yard line facing the opposing team. The receiving team will spread out on their side of the field. When the ball is kicked the opposing team will receive the ball and run towards their goal. The team with possession of the ball is called the offense. The team trying to stop the offense from scoring is called the defense.
The offense will be given 4 chances (downs) to move the ball down the field to score a touchdown. A touchdown is worth 6 points. After a touchdown is made the offense has one chance to make the extra point. The ball is placed on the 5-yard line and one play is given to make the point. After the extra point whether it is made or not, the scoring team walks down to their end of the field to kick off and the team scored against will receive.
If your team cannot score in 4 downs a turnover will be given to the opposing team right where the last down was played.
- A girl must have the ball passed to her twice out of 4 plays, run the ball twice or be the quarterback. If she is the quarterback she will not hand the ball to another boy to have it thrown.
- A lateral, which is a side toss, will only be done from the quarterback and behind the line of scrimmage.
- Off sides- when the offensive team or the defensive crosses the line of scrimmage before the Quarterback says HIKE. This will result in a loss of 5-yards. If the penalty is by the offense they will lose a down. If the penalty is from the defense, the offense will gain 5-yards and stay on the same down they were at before the penalty.
- Huddles- this is time you spend with your team deciding plays. Each team will be given no more than 15 seconds in a huddle. Too much time will result in a loss of a down.
- Rushing the Quarterback- The defense has to wait to rush the quarterback by counting to 10 out loud before they can cross over the line of scrimmage. The quarterback can not run until the 10 count is reached. He/she may pass the ball before the count.
- 8 yard penalties: for unnecessary roughness, clipping or tripping, un-sportsmanlike conduct, tying knots in flags, or profanity. First time will be a penalty and the second time will result in removal from the game.
- Tie- In case of a tie the ball will be placed on the 5-yard line on one end of the field. Each team will get one chance to score. This process will continue until one of the teams scores.
- Fumble- when the ball hits the ground it is considered a dead ball. It cannot be recovered.
Ultimate Frisbee Rules
) Played on a modified football field with end zones.
2) 7 players on a team. Substitutes go in after every point or 5 minutes.
3) Play begins at the middle of the field. The team wearing the pennies will throw in from outside the boundary lines at mid field to a teammate.
4) Object of the game is to advance the Frisbee down the field by throwing it to players on the team. A point is made when the Frisbee is caught in the opponents end zone.
5) After a point is made, the opposing team , which was scored upon, will now take possession of the Frisbee and take it out from the mid field.
6) Players cannot run with the Frisbee in their hands.
7) You can only hold the Frisbee for 10 sec. or 5 Mississippi’s.
8) If the defense counts to 10 and the Frisbee has not been thrown, then the Frisbee is turned over at that location to the defense who now becomes the offense.
9) The defense can intercept the Frisbee thrown by the offense.
10) A defensive player may guard one arms length from the offensive player holding the Frisbee. Guarding is done by waving the arms up and down to block the offensive’s view.
11) A Frisbee knocked down by the defense or out of a offensive players hand is given back to the offense person who threw it.
12) If a thrown Frisbee is missed or not caught( incomplete pass), the Frisbee is brought back to the area it was last thrown and turned over to the opposing team.
13) Any physical contact such as pushing, hitting, tripping or grabbing is considered a foul. The team fouled upon will receive the Frisbee.
14) If the weather is too windy, a small playground ball may be used instead of a Frisbee.
15) One point is awarded when a team scores.
Volleyball History and Rules
Invented by William J. Morgan of Massachusetts in 1895. Originally called “Mintomette”
Object of the game is to keep the ball from striking the floor on your side of the net and return it so that it strikes the floor on your opponent’s side. The ball is first put into play by the sever who stands behind the back boundary line. The ball is then volleyed back and forth until one team or the other fails to return the ball.
Rules of the game:
- Game begins with a volley for serve from the front row.
- Server is allowed one serve and continues to serve if an error is made by the receiving team.
- 3 hits per side.
- Point is given every time a team makes an error.
- Rotate when your team earns back the serve to get a new server.
- Team can go out of bounds to get the ball.
- Ball can hit the net on the serve or the rally (volleying back and forth).
- Lines are part of the courts. If a ball hits the line, it is in bounds of the court.
- Game goes to 25 points. If a tie occurs, team must win by 2 points.
- Say score before each serve. Your teams score first even if you are losing.
- Switch sides when a team gets to 12 points.
- The serving team loses the serve when the server steps over or on the serving line, which is called a foot fault.
- Another name for the forearm pass is the bump.
- Teammate should focus on utilizing all 3 hit and placing the ball up to the front row to be hit over the net to the opposing team.
- Show good sportsmanship at end of the game by shaking hands or high fives.
Middle Ball invented in 1971 in Florida.
Equipment – Lowered volleyball net or tennis net and volleyball.
Combination of Volleyball and 4 square.
Object of the game – hitting the ball using only an open hand or hands over the net. The ball must bounce once before each hit.
- Server stands in the right hand corner drops the ball and hits it with BOTH hands in an upward motion to the front row assistant server. The ball will bounce first and be hit over net by the assistant server,
- The assistant server has two choices. They can hit the ball on the bounce using both hands over there head or stand sideways and hit it with one hand.
- Once the ball is placed over the net the opposing team has unlimited hits as long as there is a bounce in between each hit.
- If the opposing teams fails to hit the ball between each bounce or cannot return the ball over the net, it is 1 point for the serving team.
- The object is to set your front row to do the ULTIMATE SLAM.
- Slam – Is a hard hit like a spike.
- Without a bounce hitting an opponent’s body it is called a Body Slam.
- A team can only earn points when serving.
- Rotation – when a team earns the ball back they rotate to get a new server and assistant server. Front row goes to the right, middle row to the left and the back row to the right. The old server will go to the top left corner. No more than 9 on a court. Less is better.
- No fists hits ever- illegal hit. A person cannot hit the ball twice in a row.
- Score – 25 points to win or by 2 points if score is 24-24.
- Your team can go out of bounds to retrieve the ball. The assistant server can also go out of bounds to get the ball.
Invented in Germany in 1898 by Konrad Koch. Game was played all over Europe and brought to the USA in 1920. It became an Olympic sport in 1972.
The game is played on a oversized size basketball court.
Object of the game- To score a goal by moving the ball towards the opponents goal using a series of quick passes, running, dribbling and throwing it past the opponents goalie into the goal area. It is a combination of soccer, hockey and basketball
1) Game begins in the middle of the court with a throw off from the team wearing the colored pinnies (shirts).
2) A regulation team consist of 7 players but BMS will play 6. 5 on the court and 1 as a goalie.
3) Each goal is worth 1 point.
4) After each goal, the teams will set up again in the middle for a throw off .The team that was scored against will now throw off.
5) A player may pass, shoot, dribble or run 3 steps with the ball.
6) A player cannot hold the ball more than 3 seconds( defense counts 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2 etc..)
7) Only the goalie is allowed in the arch area ,which extends from the top of the arch to the back of the goal. A goalie can block the ball using any part of the body. A goalie does not have any restrictions, while in the arch area. Any ball that is in the goalies area belongs to the goalie.
8) Goalie can play up to mid court when his/her team is in possession of the ball and even can score against the opposing team. No one else can cover the goalies position if he/she chooses to go out of the goalie box. Goalies can change out to get a new goalie only during a throw off.
9) A goal can be bounced into the goal or thrown into the goal.
10) Substitutes will go in every times a team scores.
Penalties- Free throw awarded
- A player cannot touch /grab another player while in the act of passing or shooting. Defensive players must stand 1 arms length away and may guard the player by blocking the view of the defense.
- A player cannot touch or steal the ball out of another persons hands. They can intercept the ball, but not grab it or smack the ball.
- Any aggressive pushing, hitting , tripping or inappropriate language ( poor sportsmanship)..Loss of possession of the ball- Turn over to the other team at the spot it occurred
- Running more than 3 steps
- Holding the ball more than 3 seconds after the defense has counted loudly past 3 seconds.
- Ball going out of bounds- throw in where it went out of bounds unless it is behind the goalie.
- Incomplete pass- goes to opposing team where it was first thrown.
- A player will be taken out of the game if they show consistent inappropriate behavior.
History-invented in 1891 by Dr. James Naismith in Springfield, Massachusetts. The first baskets were peach baskets.
Object of the game- each team tries to score points by shooting a ball into a basket (goal) while preventing its opponents from scoring. The team with the most points wins the game.
General rules-Each team has 5 players on the court, which consist of a center, two forwards and two guards. The ball must be passed, thrown, tapped, rolled or dribbled (bounced with one hand) as a team with the ball moves towards the goal. The ball cannot be carried or kicked. A dribble ends when the player catches the ball with one or two hands.
Half Court Basketball Rules
- Check the board to see what team you will be playing and court no#. The team that has an X by it will be wearing the pennies and will get the ball first.
- Boundary lines will be the colored lines at the top, sides and back of basket.
- Game starts with throwing the ball in from the top of the court. Every time a basket is made or the opposite team rebounds the ball off of the rim of the basket, the ball must be brought back to the top of the court.
- Each basket is worth two points. The score must be called out loud every time a basket is made.
- Substitutes will go in every time a basket is made. Failure to substitute may result in a forfeit.
- Students who cannot show good sportsmanship such as profanity and fighting will be taken out of the game.
- Stop the game when any player calls out violations and penalties. If you cannot settle a disagreement stop the game and ask for help from a coach. After the game is too late.
Traveling- carrying the ball while running or walking is not allowed.
Double dribble- two hands cannot be on the ball at the same time when dribbling. A person cannot dribble, stop and dribble again with one hand.
*The ball will go to the opposite team out of bounds where the violation took place.
- Fouls- any aggressive body contact with the person dribbling or shooting the ball will be taken out of bounds at the top of the Normally this would be a free throw in a regular basketball game.
10) Try to keep your team out of the key, which is the box under the basket, when they have the ball. In a real game it is called a 3 second violation if any team member is in there for more than 3 seconds.
11) You will play man to man basketball which means you will only guard one person at all times.
12) At the end of the game if there is a tie each team will take turns shooting free throws until one is made to break the tie.
13) When the whistle blows everyone will sit down on their court. One person from each team will tell the coach who won. Before leaving the court each team will put away the ball and pennies.
WEIGHT ROOM RULES/EXPECTATIONS
- The #1 concern in the weight room is Safety.
- Tennis shoes must be tied and no dangling jewelry. (earrings, necklaces, bracelets)
- Absolutely! No horse playing; hitting, running, touching another student while on machine, etc.
- Never touch or change another students weights or machine.
- Never stand behind or lean on a weight machine.
- Only one person per station.
- DO NOT slam or drop weights.
- Report to teacher any machine that is not working properly.
- Report any and all injuries to the teacher.
- Never ever attempt “one shot” lifts.
- Never go into weight room without a teacher/coach present.
- Do not touch any machines until teacher begins the station training with a signal.
- Follow the circuit station in order. Do not skip a station
- Student Signature__________________________
- I realize it is a privilege to participate in the weight room. I will follow these rules and understand if I don’t follow the above rules/guidelines, I will be asked to leave.
- Each machine has a number on it explaining exactly how to use it.
- 2) The 1st and most important rule is SAFETY.
- 3) If you cannot show us that you are not going to be safe then you are not responsible enough to have the privilege to be in the weight room.
- 4) Weightlifting is not about power lifting. Power lifting is trying to see who can pick up the most weight at one time. Power lifting is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. You can easily tear a muscle or hurt yourself to the point the injury could take weeks to heal.
- 5) Weightlifting should be done slowly with a small amount of weight for beginners, You will start with doing a set of 10 repetitions or reps. This means you will lift lets say 20 pounds , ten times and rest. If time permits you may do a second set of 10 reps. Object is to do at least 3 sets of 10 repetitions.
- 6) You will be given a signal when to start and another signal to stop and change to the next machine. When you go to a machine change the weight to your liking, lift it once to see if you need to change it
- 7) We have given you a contract to sign. If you fail to abide the contract by breaking any of the rules you will be sent out of the room and NOT allowed to come in again. You will receive a 0 every time your group goes into the room.
- 8) If you are unsure as to how a machine or station is done ask the person who just left it or the teacher in the room.
- 9) The treadmill is a machine you can very easily get hurt on if you are not careful. It will stay on 4.0 all the time. If anyone raises it any higher they will be escorted out of the room. To get on the treadmill, place your feet on both sides and then hold onto the rails. Places one foot on the treadmill and then the other. To get OFF, hold onto the rail and step off from side to side.
- 10) One of the areas is the medicine balls and the free weight. The medicine ball can be tossed up and down but not on the wall. The free weights are to be curled up and down or arms placed out to the side and brought up and down from the shoulder to the side.
- 11) You will be given two minutes at each station. You are to go from one station to the next in numerical order. Do not deviate from this order. Meaning you do not have a choice to go where ever you want.
- 12) You may bring a towel to the weight room if you wish to wipe down the machines.