Welcome to the online learning landing page for Mrs. Bender's classes.
Beginning March 30, 2020 all MCPS courses will move to online/distance learning though the end of the school year on June 1. Assignments will begin to post between March 30 and April 1.
This page and its subpages will give you information about each of Mrs. Bender's courses, AP testing updates for each course, and provide a blog style newsletter page with the latest information updates from MCPS, College Board, and Governor DeSantis. Please begin by clicking on the plus (+) sign next to this page, and choosing the appropriate course subpage for information on your course.
Please be patient with teachers, staff, and schools while we navigate this unknown territory. We are all doing our best to get back to the most "normal" learning routine possible. As things change or new information becomes available, I will try to keep everyone updated
All assignments will originate in Google Classroom: Click here to sign in to Google Classroom
- Period 1 AP Literature: dma5u64
- Period 2 AP Literature: ke2jmor
- Period 3 AP Literature: ad7xcmv
- Period 4 AP Research: xowsejf
- Period 5 AP Seminar: b5mdrtq
- Period 6 AP Literature: 2bl6uaf
Please remember to be signed into Google Chrome browser with your school account. We will also be using the Google Suite of tools as normal, such as Docs, Slides, and so on.
Other platforms used will be AP Classroom (Click here to sign in to AP Classroom and/or your College Board account) where you must use your personal login information for your College Board account for access. Assignments for AP Classroom will first be posted in Google Classroom with detailed instructions. If you forget your College Board account username or password, it is up to YOU to call the College Board to have it reset or use the "forgot password/username" to have it emailed to you. DO NOT LOSE YOUR LOGIN INFORMATION, YOU WILL NEED IT FOR THE AP EXAM.
We will also utilize the free YouTube lessons for AP Literature that are provided by the College Board: Click here for the AP Literature YouTube Lessons. Again, this will be assigned with detailed directions in Google Classroom first.
Zoom and Google Voice will also be optional methods of contact (see below).
Contacting Mrs. Bender:
If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to me via email at email@example.com and I will respond within 24 hours. Students may also communicate with me through Remind, directions for which are already posted on my main teacher website. Use of Remind is highly encouraged so that I can answer student questions in real time, but please adhere to the “office hours” set forth on the app (Mon.-Fri., 8:00 am – 8:00 pm) when possible.
Live Office Hours and Lessons:
I will hold live office hours and lessons for students in several ways:
- General office hours will be held from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM Monday through Friday.
- During this time students can contact me via Remind, email, Zoom (by request), or Google Voice for immediate feedback.
- With Google Voice, students/parents may call or text during school hours (9:15 am – 3:45 pm) using this number: (352) 462-1535.
- This is a time where I can review lessons, answer questions, and work with students one on one or in small groups.
- Each course will have one OPTIONAL live Zoom check in or review lesson available per week.
- If a lesson is given, it will also be recorded so that it can be viewed at a later time.
- Zoom lessons will start promptly at the posted time, so please be logged in and have all appropriate materials for the lesson open.
- Zoom check ins and/or lessons will occur during your regularly scheduled class period time.
- Period 1: 9:15 am
- Period 2: 10:15 am
- Period 3: 11:15 am
- Period 4: 1:00 pm
- Period 5: 2:00 pm
- Period 6: 3:00 pm
- Any student may also request a personal live meeting time (15 minute intervals) by emailing or messaging through Remind.
- Live meetings can occur with video through Zoom or by phone using Google Voice
DISCLAIMER: Marion County Public Schools may record online classroom sessions utilizing third-party platforms (Zoom, Google Classroom, etc.). These recordings will only be used for educational purposes and may be shared on other learning platforms. If you do not want your child’s image or identifying information recorded, utilize your device/platform controls to stop the camera feed from your device.
As long as students turn in their weekly lessons and/or check in with the teacher weekly, they will be marked as present daily.
In addition to weekly assignments, Mrs. Bender will post 1 weekly check-in question in Google Classroom so that students may be marked as present and easily fulfil their attendance requirements. This attendance check-in question is due by 9:00am each Friday.
During this period of online distance learning, assignments will be graded and will count toward overall student GPA.
All assignments for my class will have a week-long due date as normal. Please contact Mrs. Bender if you will not be able to meet the weekly deadlines. There will be no late work forms, just contact me via email or Remind and explain your situation and we will work it out case by case.
All AP exams will still take place (see the News & Updates page for details). State testing, such as FSA, NGSS, AICE, IB, certifications, and most other exams have been canceled for the year. Please reach out to your individual teachers about testing if you have questions.