College/University Brochure Assignment
- You will research a college/university of your choice and create an informational brochure. You may use any computer program you like, or you may cut and paste information onto a brochure. As long as it is thoroughly and neatly completed, you will do well.
- I suggest you email and/or call the school. I will show you how to create an MLA Bibliography entry for these.
- DO NOT plagiarize. Copying website or any other information put out by the college is plagiarism. You must summarize/paraphrase the information.
- When you create the brochure, you must organize it by “flaps” using title and subtitles to guide the reader.
- First/front flap: appropriate title, a visual, your name, and a teaser (a phrase or sentence that makes people interested in reading the brochure)
- Second/inside flap: a subtitle, a paragraph and one visual with a caption (one complete sentence explaining visual) – write a paragraph about why you chose this school and if this project changed your mind or not, and why or why not
- Inside flaps (third, fourth, and fifth flaps) must include:
- admission requirements (also include information about whether or not they accept AP/IB/AICE credits; Is SAT or ACT preferred?)
- educational offerings
- campus life (housing, clubs, etc.)
- information about location
- student population
- scholarship/financial aid
- two to three visuals that represent the information – each visual should have a caption (one complete sentence explaining visual)
- Sixth/back flap: school’s address and website
- You may use paragraphs and/or bulleted lists. PLEASE capitalize titles/subtitles correctly!!
Rubric for Brochure:
_____/20 Minimal errors in capitalization/punctuation/grammar – pay close attention to titles/subtitles
_____/20 Brochure is organized using quality title and subtitles to guide reader
_____/40 Relevant details are used to describe the college/university
_____/20 Neatness/visual appeal – should be professional-looking/visuals must have captions
_____/20 Three to four minutes (you will lose points if it’s too long or too short)
_____/20 Prepare at home so that there is clear organization
_____/20 Use voice projection and enunciation – practice so that you are loud enough and clear enough
_____/20 Voice inflection: practice so that your voice has appropriate tone…enthusiastic, serious, etc.
_____/20 Use eye contact – don’t read word for word and utilize brochure (refer and point to it)
- You must use at least one source so you must include a Bibliography. Turn this in separately with a heading.
- Lay-out of flat brochure – if you type it and print it, then you will fold it. However, you may choose to create it by hand and cut and paste information onto it.