Always dreamed of a career in medicine? Interested in learning more about the wide range of occupations in this growing field? Get started in MYCAREERSHINES.
The healthcare field has five general career pathways:
- Therapeutic Services: Individuals who deal directly with patients, such as doctors, nurses, dentists, and physical therapists.
- Diagnostic Services: Individuals who perform a wide range of tests, such as clinical and lab technicians.
- Health Informatics: Individuals who manage hospitals and healthcare facilities or manage patient information and records.
- Biotechnology Research and Development: Individuals who study diseases to develop treatments and medications to prevent and cure illness.
- Support Services: Individuals who focus on creating a comfortable experience for patients, such as dieticians.
Meta-Major: Health Sciences
Are you interested in healthcare but not sure what you want to do? Check out the health sciences meta-major at your local state college. A meta-major is a collection of associate degree programs aligned to a general career area, such as health sciences. Because all programs under the meta-major have common courses, you can pursue a relevant course of study before deciding on a specific degree program.
While most jobs require some education after high school, many don't require a four-year, bachelors degree. Some require an Associate Degree, a two-year college degree program, or a certificate, a technical program which vary in length but are generally less than two years.
Training, Certificate or Associate's Degree Bachelor's Degree Home Health Aide $21,150 Bioinformatics Technician $33,750 Phlebotomist $27,720 Mental Health Counselor $40,643 Pharmacist Technician $28,160 Substance Abuse Counselor $43,056 Medical Assistant $28,740 Cytogenetic Technologist $57,700 Medical Secretary $29,250 Medical and Clinical Technologist $57,700 Clinical Laboratory Technician $32,680 Registered Nurse $60,290 Massage Therapist $36,370 Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurse $60,920 Optician, Dispensing $39,150 Acute Care Nurse $60,920 Licensed Practical Nurse $39,150 Critical Care Nurse $60,920 Cardiovascular Technologist $45,290 Informatics Nurse Specialist $80,190 Respiratory Therapist $53,390 Biomedical Engineer $91,940 Physical Therapist Assitant $53,390 Physician Assistant $99,278 Diagnostic Medical Sonographer $60,530 Medical Services Manager $101,920 Dental Hygienist $64,890 Pharmacist $116,620