Health/Life Management Skills
Mrs. Patty-Kay Ergle
According to the Florida Department of Education:
The purpose of this course is to produce health literate students that make sound decisions and take positive actions for healthy and effective living. The course is wellness oriented and emphasizes responsible decision-making and planning for a healthy lifestyle.
The content should include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Family life
- Personal health (wellness planning, decision-making, goal-setting, prevention of child abuse and neglect)
- Internet safety
- Mental and emotional health (prevention of depression interpersonal, coping skills and suicide)
- Nutrition (physical activity and wellness)
- Substance use and abuse (tobacco, alcohol, and other drug use and abuse)
- Injury prevention and safety (cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automatic external defibrillator (AED), first aid for obstructed airway, violence, gangs, and bullying)
- Personal health (human sexuality, including abstinence from sexual activity, and teen pregnancy prevention)
- Prevention and control of disease (including HIV/AIDS and other STIs)
- Community and consumer health (resources and advocacy)
- Teen dating violence (abuse prevention)
According to Mrs. Ergle:
Quarterly Assessment 10%
Assignments are listed on my website on the school web page. Some assignments must be done in the classroom, not taken home.
Makeup work and test retakes can be done before school by appointment.
- Make sure you know exactly what work you need.
- Check your portal and my website.
- Missing assignments are 0 not * on your portal
- No makeup work will be accepted more than 2 weeks after the due date.
If you do not like your bookwork grade you can come within 2 weeks and correct your mistakes to earn more points. Do all of the work and you’ll pass.
We are going to learn lots of useful stuff in this one semester class.
Come ready to learn, participate, and maybe even have some fun.