Unit for Quarter 4: Waves, Sound and Light
Unit Essential Question: What is the relationship between a wave’s properties and its behavior?
transverse, longitudinal, electromagnetic, mechanical, medium • crest, trough, amplitude, wavelength, frequency, speed
electromagnetic spectrum, reflection, refraction, absorption, pitch, loudness, echo, Doppler Effect
By the End of this Unit Students should be able to:
• Describe how waves transfer energy.
• Identify wave properties.
• Explain the relationship between frequency and wavelength.
• Describe the effect of different media on wave speed.
• Identify that light waves can be reflected, refracted or absorbed.
• Explain how frequency and pitch are related.
• Explain how loudness and amplitude are related.
• Interpret the electromagnetic spectrum.
• Identify, compare and contrast types of electromagnetic waves.