What is the NMMS MATHCOUNTS program? The NMMS MATHCOUNTS Program (often referred to as the “MathColts”) is an enrichment and competition program for high-achieving students in Algebra and Geometry courses.
What would I do in this program? We participate in a variety of activities, including:
- Weekly club meetings focused on advanced math concepts, fun activities, and competition preparation.
- Math competitions such as the MATHCOUNTS Competition Series, AMC-8, and Math League competitions.
- Up to 8 students from the program will compete at the district MATHCOUNTS competition, with the chance to qualify for the State competition. Students from our program have qualified for the state-level MATHCOUNTS competition multiple times, including our entire ciphering team in 2020.
- There are also “unofficial” competitions we run as a club program.
When does MATHCOUNTS meet? MATHCOUNTS practices are TBA at this time, based on school opening guidelines due to COVID-19. Last school year, we met on Tuesday afternoons from 3:45pm - 5:00pm. Days and times will be finalized upon our return to school.
Eligibility: Students in the MATHCOUNTS program must meet the expectations listed below. Grades are checked at each and report card.
- Maintain a “B” average in Algebra or Geometry Honors on the Quarter 1 and Quarter 2 report cards.
- No failing grades (F) for any core or elective course.
- No “Level 2” referrals. Maintain excellent citizenship in all classes.
- Attend and participate in practices – students with three absences within a two-month period may forfeit their spot in the program.
- Absences may be excused in cases of illness or family emergency with a written parent note (or e-mail).
- Complete weekly practice activities. These are important for preparing for mathematics competitions versus other schools.
Initial selection: MATHCOUNTS members are selected based on a tryout system. Please note: If you were a member of MATHCOUNTS in the 2019-2020 school year, you will still need to complete the tryout process to in 2020-2021.
- All students take a basic skills assessment as part of the Algebra and Geometry courses.
- An invitational tryout will be held to participate in a practice mini-competition.
- Results will be used by Dr. Lockley and Mr. Melancon to select this year's MATHCOUNTS members.
How do I prepare for MATHCOUNTS during summer? Perhaps the best way to prepare for MATHCOUNTS during the summer months is to... practice! I would strongly encourage you to first complete the recommended summer practice activities I have posted here on my teacher website. If you have completed the "On-Ramp to Algebra" as suggested, then e-mail me at William.Lockley@marion.k12.fl.us and we can discuss advanced preparation strategies for you!
I AM EXCITED ABOUT THE 2021 CLUB AND COMPETITION SEASON, AND I NEED YOU TO HELP US HAVE A SUCCESSFUL YEAR!