ABSENCES:If you are ever absent, please go to Teams to access work for whatever day(s) you were absent!1. When you go to Teams, click on your class period.2. Then click on Class Notebook located at the top of the page.3. Then click on the Navigation Pane (it looks like books stacked up).4. Then find and click on your name. Sections will appear. Sections correspond to weeks.5. Select the appropriate week that you were absent. Once you click on a section/week, pages will appear to the right. Pages correspond to days within the week.6. Click on the day(s) that you were absent.Work is uploaded directly onto the page in Teams. Complete work directly onto the page in Teams and message me when you are done so that I can go into Teams and grade your work. Please don't forget to include the name(s) of the assignment(s) that you have completed.
MS. DURDEN'S 2020-2021 WELCOME MESSAGE!
Greetings 8th graders! Welcome to 8th grade English/Language Arts. Get ready; the journey you embark upon will be an interesting one. This academic year, we will be utilizing Microsoft Teams as our educational platform. Please see attached step-by-step "how-to" instructions on accessing Microsoft Teams. I look forward to spending this academic year with you! Again, welcome.
Phone: 352.291.7930 Ext. 5066
Students, when I was your age, my favorite book was (and still is): If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What am I Doing in the Pits? by Erma Bombeck.
A quick recap…
I cannot stress enough that YOU MUST CHECK MY TEACHER HOMEPAGE (VIA MY TEACHER WEBSITE) AND GOOGLE CLASSROOM DAILY! There are/will be posted announcements for your benefit!!
How to check my teacher homepage:
- Go to MyMarionPortal
- Select ‘Schools’ on the upper right side of the page
- Select ‘Middle Schools’ using the arrow next to ‘Schools’
- Select ‘Liberty Middle School’ on the left side of the page
- Select ‘LMS Website’ on the right side of the page under Quick Links
- Go to Teacher Websites
- Go to my website (search for my name)
- Click on my teacher homepage (it is the first page)
BEFORE YOU BEGIN ANY ASSIGNMENT, YOU MUST CHECK BOTH MY TEACHER HOMEPAGE AND GOOGLE CLASSROOM. THIS WILL SAVE TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED EITHER ON MY HOMEPAGE OR WITHIN THE GOOGLE CLASSROOM PLATFORM!!
I am working to ensure that most of your assignments are created within the Google Classroom platform. However, if your assignments have not been created within Google Classroom; just submit your work including your name, class period, and questions and answers (which you will probably have to copy and paste). You can submit your work within the Google Classroom platform.
Note: You can only join your class period.
Just a couple of quick reminders!
- Check Google Classroom daily. Everything you need will be there.
- Complete your bell work daily. Remember, this counts as your attendance.
- Be integral. Be honest. In other words, do your own work.
- Become engaged! I want to hear from you. I genuinely want to know how you are adjusting to your new learning environment. Don’t be hesitant to reach out to me!
- Please, guys, post only that which is appropriate! I cannot stress this enough.
- My new office hours: 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Stay tuned....online learning options begin April 1st!
BEGINNING APRIL 1ST:
1) If you have any questions about anything (and I do mean anything!), email me; my office hours will be Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
2) Assignments will be available via Google Classroom. With that being said, please note the class codes that you will enter to join your specific class period:
Period 1 - u4uc7b7
Period 2 - ororcim
Period 3 - ytxid6l
Period 4 - yahxfvi
Period 5 - cbq2ya3
Period 6 - ijps2td
*Please note that everything from announcements to assignments, etc. will be accessible via Google Classroom.*
*CHECK GOOGLE CLASSROOM DAILY!*
3) Attendance is still required! As a result, your daily bell work will count as your attendance.
4) As always, you can email me at Silanthia.Durden@marion.k12.fl.us
5) Stay safe.
Our Deepest Fear
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness
That most frightens us.
We ask ourselves
Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small
Does not serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking
So that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine,
As children do.
We were born to make manifest
The glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us;
It's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,
We unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we're liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.
- Marianne Williamson
Welcome to 8th grade English/Language Arts! I am super excited about the 2019-2020 school year! I am even more excited about the opportunity to work with you! All you need to bring to class is a growth mindset, and the journey will be an exciting one!
Please refer to this site for your ELA needs such as important assessment dates, vocabulary, classwork/homework, projects, etc.
Please feel free to contact me anytime between 1:55 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. via email (Silanthia.Durden@marion.k12.fl.us) or phone (352.291.7930 ext. 50664).