Welcome to AP Capstone Research
AP Seminar is the first course in the College Board's new AP Capstone diploma program. AP Capstone is comprised of two consecutive courses, AP Seminar and AP Research. AP Seminar is a prerequisite for AP Research, and both courses focus on precision inquiry and presentation skills needed for both undergraduate and graduate college level research. AP Seminar focuses on evaluating established academic research and conversations, and AP Research allows students to actually contribute to academic conversations by producing their own unique research, similar to a master's or doctoral level thesis.
The AP Capstone diploma is similar to IB or AICE diplomas, however more students across the globe are currently enrolled in the AP Capstone Diploma program than in any IB or AICE program. To earn the AP Capstone diploma, students must earn a score of 3 or higher in AP Seminar, AP Research, and 4 other AP courses. Even without the additional 4 AP courses, students can still earn the distinction of an AP Capstone and Research Certificate. Both awards are highly valued by colleges on resumes and transcripts and will set students apart in the college interview and acceptance process.
Students in grades 10, 11, and 12 may be recommended for the AP Seminar course. Students must take AP Seminar before they can take AP Research. Students who have taken AP Seminar, regardless of their exam scores, and who are entering grades 11 or 12 may then take AP Research. Please see Mrs. Bender or your guidance councelor to enroll in the program.
2020-2021 Learning Platforms:
Due to the nature of the current COVID-19 pandemic, all classwork and assignments for this course will be posted and submitted on Google Classroom. We will also be utilizing programs including (but not limited to) AP Classroom, Zoom, TurnItIn, Remind 101 app, Microsoft Teams, and potentially others as the year progresses.
**It is highly suggested that you bring your own device (laptop or tablet) to class daily.**
Classroom chromebooks will be scarce, and I will not be delivering paper/printed materials (unless specifically requested by the student/parent) due to the nature of COVID-19 living on surfaces for several days and the inability to properly disinfect paper. However, please be aware that students are soley responsible for their devices, and any damanges will not be covered by the school or teacher.
When the Google Classroom Join Codes are available, they will be posted here:
- Period 5 AP Research (on campus):
Second Interruption Online Directions:
In the case of a second "interruption" where school campus is closed, all students will immediately shift to MCPS Online instruction, and our class will continue the very next school day synchronously via Google Classroom and Microsoft Teams. That means your class will continue during the same exact times as your normal class periods. Therefore, you will be required to use either Microsoft Teams or other daily check in methods for both attendance and learning purposes during your assigned class period times.
Disclaimer: Marion County Public Schools may record online classroom sessions utilizing third-party platforms (Zoom, Teams, Google Classroom, etc.). These recordings will only be used for educational purposes and may be shared on other learning platforms. If you do not want your child's image or identifying information recorded, utilize your device/platform controls to stop the camera feed from your device.
Considering AP Capstone? What You Need to Know:
- AP Seminar is the first course in the program. You must take it before you can take AP Research.
- The AP Capstone Diploma is the equivalent of an IB or AICE diploma. There is also legislation in the works that will make the AP Diploma give you automatic FULL BRIGHT FUTURES without an ACT/SAT score! Stay tuned...
- To earn the AP Capstone Diploma, you must earn a 3 or higher on the exams for AP Seminar, AP Research, and any 4 additional AP exams (from art to psych to calc and more).
- Can't take all those AP classes? No worries! Anyone in grades 10-12 can take AP Seminar as a single elective.
- Yes, you can take BOTH AP and Dual Enrollment courses are the same time. Each AP exam you pass counts as 3 credit hours with CF.
- In AP Capstone, you study what interests you. We come up with solutions to real world problems, so you basically get to save the world!
For more info, see Mrs. Bender in 8-035 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org