Welcome to HOSA-Future Health Professionals
What is HOSA?
HOSA – Future Health Professionals is the premier organization for student leaders pursuing careers in the healthcare industry. HOSA’s two-fold mission is to promote career opportunities in the health care industry and to enhance the delivery of quality health care to all people.
History of HOSA
Founded in 1976 as Health Occupations Students of America, HOSA – Future Health Professionals reaches over 225,000 members each year in 3,500 secondary and postsecondary/collegiate chapters across the nation. Florida HOSA was founded in 1978 and is the second largest State Association in the nation with more than 15,800 members!
HOSA – Future Health Professionals is endorsed by the U.S. Department of Education, Florida Department of Education, the Health Science Technology Education Division of the Association for Career and Technical Education, and over 50 other health-related partners and industry associations.
HOSA is Inter-curricular
HOSA – Future Health Professionals is a national organization that operates as an integral component of the health science education curriculum. Through its association of state and local chapters, HOSA provides powerful instructional tools, recognition, leadership, networking, scholarships, and connections with the healthcare industry to thousands of members across the United States.
Through the HOSA Competitive Events Program, members have the opportunity to showcase their health care and leadership skills in over 55 different events related to all aspects of the health care industry. HOSA integrates into the Health Science Technology Education curriculum seamlessly to develop and recognize smart, dedicated, and passionate future health professionals.
HOSA – Future Health Professionals offers numerous leadership conferences and professional development opportunities including the HOSA International Leadership Conference, the Washington Leadership Academy held in Washington, D.C., HOSA Leadership University, the Florida HOSA Fall Leadership Development Academy, and the Florida HOSA State Leadership Conference.
HOSA Mission Statement
The mission of HOSA – Future Health Professionals is to enhance the delivery of compassionate, quality health care by providing opportunities for knowledge, skill and leadership development of all health science technology education students, therefore, helping students to meet the needs of the health care community.
The Goals of HOSA
- To promote physical, mental and social well-being
- To develop effective leadership qualities and skills
- To develop the ability to communicate more effectively with people
- To develop character
- To develop responsible citizenship traits
- To understand the importance of pleasing oneself as well as being of service to others
- To build self-confidence and pride in one’s work
- To make realistic career choices and seek successful employment in the health care field
- To develop an understanding of the importance in interacting and cooperating with other students and organizations
- To encourage individual and group achievement
- To develop an understanding of current health care issues, environmental concerns, and survival needs of the community, the nation and the world
- To encourage involvement in local, state and national health care and education projects