Instructor: Ms. Tiffany Bess
Phone: 352-671-4765 ext. 50057
Description/Objectives: The purpose of this course is to provide instruction that enables students to accelerate the development of reading and writing skills and to strengthen those skills so they are able to successfully read and write grade level text independently. Instruction emphasizes reading comprehension, writing, fluency, and vocabulary study through the use of a variety of literary and informational texts encompassing a broad range of text structures, genres, and levels of complexity.
Reading Plus: Students are taking a different approach to reading this year through Reading Plus. This is an interactive online based program that is individualized to increase and accommodate the student’s needs. Through Reading Plus, the students deficiencies are identified and isolated instructions are given to assist them in overcoming those struggles. Students are also assigned texts that match a predetermined reading level, to allow them to apply skills during reading.
1st Period 7:40 am – 8:32 am
2nd Period 8:35 am – 9:30 am
3rd Period 9:30 am – 10:35 am
4th Period 10:40 am -11:40 am
5th Period 11:45 am – 12:35 pm
**Lunch 12:40 pm -1:10 pm**
6th Period 1:15 pm – 2:07 pm
7th Period 2:10 pm – 3:00 pm
Five Golden Expectations:
- Be Respectful
- Be on time (PROMPT)
- Bring all required materials to class (PREPARED)
- Make what you do valuable to your personal growth and goals and ask for the help that your need to succeed. (PURPOSEFUL)
- No Cell Phone usage is allowed during class
Tardy Process (Per 9 weeks):
- 1st Tardy - Initial Warning/ Restate expectation
- 2nd Tardy - Reteach expectations, contact parent
- 3rd Tardy - Parent Contact
- 4th Tardy – Referral
- 5th Tardy and beyond – Referral
Absence Process (Per 9 weeks):
- 1st & 2nd Absences – Speak with Student/ Redirection
- 3rd Absences – Parent contact and refer to Guidance Counselor
- 4th Absences and beyond – Administrative action
It is your responsibility to get make-up work the day you return from your absence.
*IT IS THE STUDENTS RESPONSIBILITY TO OBTAIN, COMPLETE AND SUBMIT MAKE-UP OR MISSING ASSIGNMENTS upon them returning from an absence.
Students will have 3 options to complete make-up or missing assignments during school/in class:
- Upon finishing class assignments early.
- On Friday’s upon completing all weekly assignments.
- During Plato block ONLY IF the student(s) have completed their Plato course.
*Assignments should be completed and submitted with the same week.
Grades will be calculated based on the following grading scale:
90-100 = A
80-89 = B
70-79 = C
60-69 = D
59 and below = F
The class assignments will be weighted by the following:
Classwork/Small Groups /Quizzes: 45 %
Tests/Projects: 45 %
Learning Checks: 10 %