The #1 goal for all students is to gradually become physically literate individuals who have the knowledge, skills and confidence to enjoy a lifetime of healthful physical activity.
WAYS TO ACCOMPLISH THIS
It is necessary to participate in a variety of physical activities that encourage fitness and also understand how each activity and/or exercise benefits your health.
Children should spend at least 50 minutes, and up to several hours, of age-appropriate physical activity on all or most days of the week. This daily accumulation should include moderate and vigorous physical activity with the majority of the time being spent in activity that is continuous in nature.
Key Learning Standards:
- Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.