1. Please look over your child’s planner to see what they are doing in class and what they are learning. Remember to also check the parent portal, to keep track of your child’s academic progress.
2. Thank you for checking your emails and CLASS DOJO and also by communicating your questions and concerns through these means. It is truly an efficient way to communicate.
3. Your child is now using Kid Biz. Kid Biz is a computerized program where your child is reading non-fiction material. After the initial testing in the program, your child has been given a lexile score. All the material is presented to them in their “just right” lexile level. As they work successfully, the program will adjust to keep up with their individual needs. Kid Biz is essential for reading non-fiction text. They will need to be able to read and comprehend at their grade specific level for the FSA. The goal is for your child to score an 88% on the FIRST try when completing their activities. This is what helps improve their lexiles.
4. In Social Studies we are presently working on a DBQ (Data Based Questions) based on the question: "What is the main reason Seminole resistance was so strong?". This will encompass learning and knowing key terms, words, and phrases, as well as an understanding of the content material. Students will be analyzing documents about the geography, the tactics, and the stakes of the three wars the US government fought against the Seminole people of Florida. Each student will also be writing a 5 paragraph essay to support the answer to the DBQ question.
5. Keep checking Google Classroom. This is a great way for your child to work at his/her own pace. There are several assignments to be completed with instructions, links, and due dates. Also, there is plenty of practice they can do online that will support what they are learning and help them prepare for upcoming tests. If your child does NOT complete their daily assignments in Google Classroom, they need to complete it for HOMEWORK that evening.
6. Library Day is on Tuesdays. Please be sure your child has ALL his/her library books here for checkouts and/or renewals. Also, remind your child that need to have a book to read in my class EVERY DAY.
7. Your child is working on reading an historical fiction novel, "A Land Remembered" by: Patrick Smith. This story follows the fictional MacIvey family through the settlement and growth of Florida and the industries that led to the development of modern Florida. This is a story that is fascinating and adventurous. It's a wonderful way for the children to get a glimpse of life in Florida beginning in the 1800's and goes through to the 1960's.
8. The Reading word count goal for the 3rd nine weeks is 200,000 read with an 85% or higher average on tests. (AR and MyOn) The goal period starts Tuesday, January 7, 2020 and ends Friday, March 13, 2020. In addition, your child MUST complete ONE non-fiction biography book worth 1 point or more and pass the A.R. test with an 80% or better. AT LEAST 100,000 words must come from Accelerated Reader. This year I will count BOTH Accelerated Reader words read as well as MyOn words read.
Congratulations to the following students for meeting their 3rd nine week word count goal of 200,000 words with ONE non-fiction biography (80% minimum and an overall average of 85%:
SPECIAL CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME TO THE MILLIONAIRE CLUB
There will be a 4th grade Millionaire Club Celebration held at the end of the year by invitation ONLY