1. Please look over your child’s planner to see what they are doing in class and what they are learning. Remember to also check the parent portal, to keep track of your child’s academic progress.
2. Thank you for checking your emails and also by communicating your questions and concerns through email. It is truly an efficient way to communicate.
3. Your child is working with iReady LAFS (Language Arts Florida Standards) in reading. This is program offers reading instruction that answers the demands of today's rigorous standards. Your child will read complex texts from a range of genres. In addition the lessons will help your child build contant knowledge and help deepen their understanding of text. There are connected tasks that integrate writing, speaking, listening and the language standards for 4th grade ELA. This will help better prepare your child for the FSA ELA test they will take this year.
4. In addition to iReady LAFS, your child is also using Kid Biz. Kid Biz is a computerized program where your child is reading non-fiction material. After the initial testing in the program, your child has been given a lexile score. All the material is presented to them in their “just right” lexile level. As they work successfully, the program will adjust to keep up with their individual needs.
5. Each day my classes work on grammar skills through Daily Language Review. I give instruction and the kiddos work on the skills and peer review before we go over each question together in class. At the end of 4 days' instruction, your chilod will take a Language Quiz which incorporates 14 items from that week's skills. I have told the children that they may certainly take home their Daily Language to review nightly, they just need to be sure they have it every day to work on IN class. Some people do better with nightly practice and studying rather than waiting until the fourth night to bring home the work and try to be prepared for the quiz the next morning. This week's focus is word study. There will be a quiz for Q3:W3 will be given on Monday, Feb. 12th.
6. In Social Studies the class is working on Chapter 4: Lesson 3 in the Social Studies book. Chapter 4 is all about Europeans coming to Florida. Currently we are studying the Spanish Explorers, as well as the causes and effects of exploration. The classes are using Quizlet and information in their Google Classroom to complete their interactive S.S. notebooks. They have found using quizlet to be a fun way to study. Speaking of studying, there is a quiz that will be given on Friday, January 26th on the 20 vocabulary words for Exploration & Colonization of Florida. I will also be picking up and giving and interim grade on their S.S. interactive notebook that day as well.
7. Your child is also working hard on preparing for the upcoming FSA Writing on March 6, 2018. They are working with a partner on informative/expository writing about Therapy Dogs. We have worked on reading the texts, understanding the prompt, addressing the prompt, and taking notes. They are writing a 5 paragraph essay using their notes. So far, they are doing well. Ask your child to show you their essay in their Google docs.
8. YAY! We are now working in Google Classroom. Your child just needs to sign onto their portal and click "Google Classroom" on their portal desktop. No code is needed. This is a great way for your child to work at his/her own pace. There are several assignments to be completed with instructions, links, and due dates. Also, there is plenty of practice they can do online that will support what they are learning and help them prepare for upcoming tests.
9. Library Day is on Tuesdays. Your child needs to be sure his/her library book is at school every day. Your child should be selecting books in his/her given range for optimal growth in reading. The range spans reading levels that are appropriately challenging for reading practice. This week your child took their 3rd nine week STAR Reading test. They received their results and should have shared those with you.
10. The 3rd nine week AR goal word goal is 200,000 words and one historical fiction book worth one point or higher with an 80% or better. The AR goal period for the 3rd nine weeks begins Wednesday, 1/3/18 and ends Tuesday, 3/20/18.
Congratulations to the following students for meeting their 3rd nine week 200,000 word goal and one historical fiction book worth 1 point or more and a test passed with 80% or higher:
Dickey: Cullen B., Andrew R., Mary Frances B., Sage E., Jolie B., C.J. Sayler
Brooks: Brayden E., Cambriah G., Alejandra P., Luke T., Darean Z., Jacari G., Savannah J., John S., Nida D., Addison K., Mason C., Parker T.
SPECIAL CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME TO THE MILLIONAIRE CLUB