The Horizon Academy Drama program began in the 2016-17 school year. Although it meets daily during Hawk Time (9:45-10:25am), rehearsals for performances take place afterschool and some performances take place in the evening: This requires a greater commitment on the part of students. The 2016-17 performances included a musical pantomime for Red Ribbon Week, various commercials for Relay for Life, a Christmas Play ("Ebony Scrooge") and a comedy/musical theater "Chemo, the Musical".
In addition to rehearsals for these performances, students attended the Ocala Civic Theater perfomance of "Shrek" and a Murder Mystery Dinner performance at Vanguard High School. Weekly, there was acting instruction and training in different aspects of theatrical performances.
If students are interested - and commited to the extra time required - see the teacher to sign up for Hawk Time (Note: If Math scores are low, students may be required to attend remediation during Hawk Hour instead of signing up for Drama). Some non-Hawk Time students participated in performances in 2016-17 and may do so this year as well.
Drama Club Constitution/Charter
Drama Club Goals 2019-20
1. Learn about theater/video production, acting and other performing arts.
2. Perform at least two major theatrical performances (Winter and Spring)
3. Attend community theater performances (Ocala Civic Theater/WestPort/Vanguard)
4. Prepare video commercials for Red Ribbon Week, SAVE, Relay for Life and other events
5. Develop new performing arts skills
6. Prepare a portfolio of work for applying to Marion County Center for the Arts high school
PROPOSED PROJECTS for 2019-20
1) Red Ribbon Week videos
2) Breast Cancer commercials
3) PSAs: "Different" theme - SAVE, Fighting, Bullying, Autism, Suicide & Mental Health, Inappropriate Touching
4) 1st semester play - Xmas Musical
5) 2nd semester plays - "Googled", Freaky Friday, Cancer Drama