Course Description and Goals*
My goal is that every student will receive the opportunity to learn in a welcoming, comfortable, and professional learning environment. Students will learn content in areas ranging from the Nature of Science and Cell Structure to Ecology and Human Body Systems, amongst many others. This course is a discussion, interactive, and application based course with the goal of preparing all students for success on the Biology EOC Exam at the conclusion of the year.
Students must have access to a device of some form in order to successfully be able to turn in assignments and access Microsoft Teams for communcation and assignment updates. There are no other specific supply items I am requiring at this time. In the event we are able to conduct labs at some point, I strongly suggest purchasing your own safety glasses.
Class Format, Rules and Policies*
1. Be fair, courteous, and equitable to others
2. Treat everyone with respect, including yourself
3. There will be no food or drink permitted in class at any time unless you have a medical condition stating you are permitted to do so (i.e. Diabetes, low blood sugar, etc.)
On that note, with water fountains being shut down due to COVID-19, you will be permitted to bring a water bottle (with a cap that closes tightly). The water bottle must only contain water, not another type of drink.
4. Restroom breaks will be permitted during the mid-block break (which I will cover on Day 1 of class). There will be other times that restroom breaks are permitted on an as needed basis.
5. There will be NO UNAUTHORIZED cell phone use* of any kind permitted in my classroom. Electronic devices may be used for instructional purposes only.
*Even when I permit cell phone use, you must have at least a 'C' average in the class to have this privilege.
6. Social Distancing guidelines will be in effect. You must remain in your area at all times unless otherwise designated by me.
7. Please follow the due dates in Microsoft teams to keep up with assignment deadlines. If an extension is needed, then students may be permitted to turn their work in at the end of the week.
Late work policy: for every day after the assignment is due, there will be a 10% reduction in awarded credit with a maximum reduction of possible credit of 50%. I will not give less than a 50% on any assignment for which there has been effort put forth. I will only award 0's in the grade book if there is no effort put forth.
8. Students may receive additional opportunities to improve test/quiz grades throughout the year. Students may have the opportunity of up to 2 attempts at each test/quiz upon which the higher score will be the score of record in Skyward*.
Grades will be broken down into 4 categories in Skyward:
1. Exams (which will includes tests and quizzes)=35%
2. Tests/Projects (which include labs, projects, and case studies, research papers, but not tests or quizzes)=30%
3. Classwork= 25%
4. Homework = 10%
Florida Statute 1003.47 Biological Experiments on living subjects.
1(a) Dissection may be performed on nonliving mammals or birds secured from a recognized source of such specimens and under supervision of qualified instructors. Students may be excused upon written request of a parent.
*all aforementioned information above is subject to change based upon teacher discretion and/or further government and district guidelines