Hello students and parents! I want to welcome you to MCPS Online! If your child is entering 1st grade and you chose the "Online" option for learning, then you are in the right place!
You may have had a "taste" of online learning at the end of last school year. This school year's online learning journey will be quite different. Student's will be held to a much higher level of accountability regarding their learning, and as a result will grow academically by leaps and bounds!! My goal is to make this year fun, exciting, engaging and most importantly as easy as possible for those who are supporting their children at home.
Please note that our Online platform is not a "student paced" curriculum, it is "teacher paced". Lessons are delivered online and assignments are due during the specific subject block. 1st Graders will need an adult with them throughout the learning day to keep them focused and help them navigate websites, assignments etc. They are not able to navigate this platform on their own.
Students will need a designated "quiet space" to work. The area should be free of background noises and distractions. There are times when students microphones are not muted and I need to be able to focus on the students answers and the students need to be able to focus on me while I am teaching.
To participate in online learning, students will need a desktop, laptop or Chromebook and access to video on the device. Tablets are not recommended as students will need access to a keyboard.
Please refer to the following instructions- step by step- to get started with our Online platform:
1. Prior to getting started, please click on the following link to access all of the information you will need to get started Online - MCPS Online Learning Guide. This guide provides information explaining the Online platform and is the first document you will refer to. many of the questions you have most likely will be answered in the document. It is important that you read the document in its entirety.
2. An invitation has been sent to you to join our Class Dojo. The invitation was sent either to your phone number or email address on file. In the invitation - there are instructions on how to connect to our class. The Class Dojo app can be downloaded on your phone, tablet, laptop or computer. All parents and students must be connected to Class Dojo.
Class Dojo is used for messaging, newsletters (Class Story) and also for uploading your child's daily work to Portfolio. Please set up your child's Portfolio using the following directions - click here >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1unp2ZQQJco. Please have Portfolio set up prior to your child beggining online.
Once you are in Class Dojo, please refer to prior posts in Messages and in Class Story for important class related information. Please have Class Dojo notifications enabled on your device.
3. We will be using Microsoft Teams as our assignment platform. Please click on the following link for directions on how to access Teams. Click here >> ACCESSING MICROSOFT TEAMS.
If you do not know your childs Marion County Schools log in credentials- please reach out to me on Dojo or via email.
4. We will be using ZOOM as our video platform. Please download ZOOM on your device so you can access our online meetings. The links for our meetings will be located in each subject Tile in Teams.
5. You will need to visit campus to pick up your childs books prior to them starting online. The supply list for online students is located in the Learning Guide. Having access to a printer will help with worksheets that need to be completed by the students. If you do not have access to a printer, they can write their answers on a piece of paper.
6. Please note that our Online platform is not a "student paced" curriculum, . Lessons are delivered online and assignments are due during the specific subject block. 1st Graders will need an adult with them throughout the learning day to keep them focused and help them navigate websites, assignments etc.
After reviewing the information above, if you still have questions, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Class Dojo. Please note that during the learning day, I am unable to reply to Dojo messages as I am online with the students.
If you wish to reach out to me via phone, please call the school and ask for xt 52332. Phone calls will be returned after dismissal.
Thank you for taking the time to review the information provided and I look forward to seeing you Online :)
Marion County Public Schools may record online classroom sessions utilizing third-party platforms (Zoom, Google Classroom, etc.). These recordings will only be used for educational purposes and may be shared on other learning platforms. If you do not want your child’s image or identifying information recorded, utilize your device/platform controls to stop the camera feed from your device.