The Florida Department of Education and the Florida Department of Health work in cooperation to coordinate the School Health Services Program. Marion County Public Schools and the Marion County Health Department coordinate locally to provide health services for students. School clinics are staffed with trained personnel who administer medications and provide first aid.
If your student requires health services regularly at school, please see the documents as outlined below.
- The Important Medication Information document outlines the requirements for prescriptions to be accepted in the school clinic. Because the prescription label is used as the doctor’s orders for care during the school day, it is very important that the specific prescription label requirements be met.
- The Authorization for Prescribed Medication form is required if your student requires medication administration at school. The form must be signed by a parent. It only must be signed by a physician if a student will self-carry an inhaler, Epinephrine Auto-Injector, or pancreatic enzymes.
- The Authorization for Prescribed Treatment is required if your student requires a treatment, such as a nebulizer treatment or a Gastrostomy Tube feeding
- If your child has any special dietary needs, such as substitutions or modifications due to allergy, please see the Food & Nutrition Services page for a “Special Diet Prescription Form” which must be completed and signed by a licensed physician.
- Parent Letter-Health Services
- Asthma Emergency Action Plan
- Severe Allergy Action Plan
- Self-Administered EpiPen Contract for Students who Self-Carry (Spanish)
- Parental Responsibilities for Children with Diabetes
You may contact the Health Services Coordinator for Marion County Public Schools by calling 352-671-6860 or the Supervisor of School Health for the Marion County Health Department at 352-629-0137, ext. 2043 with any questions you may have.
If your child requires significant health services, such as diabetic care, you may wish to contact the Health Services Coordinator and/or Supervisor of School Health as soon as possible.
Contact Information - Health Services
Andrea Simmons, RN, BSN, CPN
(352) 671-6860 ext. 57822