See the attached documents (BELOW) for Mr. Stephenson's Classical Studies Summer Reading Assignment:
Assignment (Printable) Reading (PDF)
Also, please CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE ALEXANDER THE GREAT VIDEO ASSIGNMENT.
AICE Classical Studies: Summer Reading Assignments:
Make sure to access the PDF complement “Wine in Greece and Rome” (above)
Please type answers and email them to Brian.Stephenson@marion.k12.fl.us
Make sure to put your name and Classical Studies in the subject
Chapter 3: The Delight of Wine “Greek Culture”
- What factors made wine production possible?
- How did Greeks during the time of Alexander the Great view Persian (Asian) society?
- How was Western civilization influenced by the Greeks?
- How did the Greeks judge how “cultured” a person was?
- Explain the ritual of “symposion.”
- Why were wine and water important to each other?
- How did symposion reflect Greek culture?
- How did Plato view democracy?
- How did Plato’s symposion differ from a normal Greek symposion?
- How do archeologists know about the “far reaching influence of Greek customs & values?”
Chapter 4: The Imperial Wine “Roman Culture”
- How did the Romans assimilate to Greek culture?
- Wine production expanded at the expense of what other crop?
- How did Rome try to control the luxurious tastes of its richest citizens?
- How did a Roman convivium compare to a Greek symposium?
- How did Christianity and Islam view wine?
- How was Europe divided over wine & beer drinking?
- How do the Greek symposium & the Roman convivium influence modern western culture?
Overall Evaluation of Greek and Roman Culture with wine:
How did wine culture from Greek and Roman society impact today’s society?