AICE Language 2 Summer Reading Assignment
You have been assigned two books to read over the summer:
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Please complete the following activities for your reading of both novels. In addition to these assignments, you will take objective tests on both at the beginning of the school year.
For The Great Gatsby:
- You must create a character log that analyzes the following characters’ traits, their role in the story, and the conflicts they encounter throughout the novel. Your character logs must be insightful conveying your unique, original perceptions. These will be thoroughly vetted for plagiarism.
- All work must be hand-written. Each entry should consist of one well-developed paragraph, approximately 150 words.
Characters to Include: Nick Carraway, Jay Gatsby, Daisy Buchanan, Tom Buchanan, Jordan Baker, Myrtle Wilson, George Wilson, Meyer Wolfsheim
For The Scarlet Letter
- After reading four chapters, complete a journal response (every time you complete four chapters—there will be a total of six journal entries).
*Format: You are Hester/Dimmesdale/Chillingworth (character choices should vary for each entry):
*Consider what is going on in your character’s mind. Write a diary entry describing the character’s reaction to the sequence of events. I am looking for a reflection on the dilemmas or conflicts that the character faces, not plot summaries. These should be written in the first person or “I” form.
*All work must be hand-written. Each entry should consist of one well-developed paragraph, approximately 150 words.
- 2. Keep a list of interesting, impressive, and/or amusing words, phrases, or passages used by the novel’s narrator or characters. Two examples of such passages occur when the townspeople call Hester a “brazen hussy” (p.61) and when the children say: “Behold, verily, there is the woman of the scarlet letter, and of a truth moreover, there is the likeness of the scarlet letter running along by her side! Come, therefore, and let us fling mud at them!”(103). You should have a total of 25 words/phrases/passages.