AICE Language 2 Summer Reading Assignment
You have been assigned two books to read over the summer:
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Please complete the following activities for your reading of both novels. In addition to these assignments, you will take objective tests on both at the beginning of the school year.
For The Great Gatsby:
- You must create a character log that analyzes the following characters’ traits, their role in the story, and the conflicts they encounter throughout the novel. Your character logs must be insightful, conveying your unique, original perceptions. These will be thoroughly vetted for plagiarism.
- All work must be handwritten. Each entry should consist of one well-developed paragraph, approximately 150 words.
Characters to Include: Nick Carraway, Jay Gatsby, Daisy Buchanan, Tom Buchanan, Jordan Baker, Myrtle Wilson, George Wilson, Meyer Wolfsheim
For The Scarlet Letter
- After reading four chapters, complete a journal response (every time you complete four chapters—there will be a total of six journal entries). I would strongly encourage you to do this every four chapters and NOT wait until you finish the book to write these journals.
*Format: You are Hester/Pearl/Dimmesdale/Chillingworth (character choices should vary for each entry, but you must use the aforementioned four characters at least once):
*Consider what is going on in your character’s mind. Write a diary entry describing the character’s reaction to the sequence of events. I am looking for a reflection on the dilemmas or conflicts that the character faces, not plot summaries. These should be written in the first person or “I” form.
*All work must be handwritten. Each entry should consist of one well-developed paragraph, approximately 150 words.